West Ham United striker Andy Carroll will be sidelined for a month after injuring his hamstring in Tuesday’s 3-1 victory at Bournemouth, the Premier League club revealed on Thursday.
“West Ham United can confirm Andy Carroll underwent a scan on his left leg on Thursday morning,” the club said in a statement on their website.
“The results show an injury to his hamstring, which is expected to keep him out of action for a month.”
The prognosis is more positive than the one offered in the immediate aftermath of the win at Bournemouth by manager Slaven Bilic, who said that the 27-year-old faced “four to six weeks” out.
Carroll went off after 12 minutes at Bournemouth, having previously been sidelined by ankle and groin problems.
Injuries have restricted the England international to just 31 starts starts in three years since his club-record $21.6 million move from Liverpool.
Enner Valencia and Nikica Jelavic are in line to deputize at Newcastle United on Saturday.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, FS1, FS2, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $4.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ