A group of professional soccer leagues from all over the world have decided to create a ‘World Association of Leagues’ following a meeting in Paris, the French Professional Football League (LFP) president said on Tuesday. The English, French and Spanish leagues are joined by 20 others from around the world in a bid to work closely with scandal-tainted world governing body FIFA.
The new association will come into effect in January.
“The professional leagues from the whole world want to participate in the rebuilding of FIFA and football institutions,” LFP president Frederic Thiriez (above) said. He added that the important thing was to ensure the professional leagues were “involved in the decision-making processes.”
The decision came following a meeting at the World Leagues Forum in Paris on Tuesday, which was attended by four of the five candidates to take over the FIFA presidency in February’s election to replace suspended current incumbent Sepp Blatter.
“Football is not dead but its international institutions are very sick,” added Thiriez, referring to the unprecedented corruption scandal currently engulfing FIFA.
“And we believe that with the experience we have in managing football daily in our countries, we can bring our experience to help rebuild FIFA.”
Prince Ali bin Al Hussein of Jordan, ex-French diplomat Jerome Champagne, South African business tycoon Tokyo Sexwale and Asia’s football chief Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa were the four FIFA presidency candidates in attendance.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup
- Where to find Orlando City SC vs. Nashville SC on US TV
- Summer transfer market shakes up power dynamic among elite
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler