Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has called for blood tests to be introduced as a matter of routine in professional soccer, insisting his sport is not immune to the scourge of doping.
The Football Association has contacted the Frenchman after he suggested, in a recent interview with L’Equipe Sport and Style, that he had come up against opposition who may have used performance-enhancing drugs.
SEE MORE: Arsenal’s best starting XI of all-time.
Wenger has long been an advocate of making advances in testing to ensure drug-free soccer and said it was a matter of personal pride he had never resorted to cheating, while claiming others may have done.
With the issue in the spotlight after recent revelations in athletics, Wenger has called on soccer to address the matter:
“To think we in football are just immune because we are football players is absolutely wrong.
“What I want is deeper tests, better tests, because what we test is superficial. And as well that when people are caught that they are punished and that the clubs are punished as well.
“We have to tackle these problems and not to close our eyes, because it’s a little bit unreasonable to think just because we are football we have no problems with it.”
WINTER FORECAST: What Arsenal can (and should) do before the January window.
Blood tests should be used, as urine samples are insufficient, Wenger says:
“Today, when you play away in the Champions League, most of the time we lose two hours when there is a doping control because people cannot fulfill the (urine) tests.
“With a little blood test it takes a minute and you can test for much more.
“It’s simple. Why can we not do it? And in the other sports they do it.”
Wenger’s comments come after a Dinamo Zagreb player failed a drugs test following the Croatian side’s victory over Arsenal in the Champions League earlier this season. The Gunners were beaten 2-1 in Zagreb in October before Arijan Ademi failed a drugs test for the Croatian side, although his ‘B’ sample is still being investigated.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family