London (AFP) – Arsenal have won an appeal against Brazilian defender Gabriel’s sending-off in Saturday’s Premier League defeat to Chelsea, the Football Association confirmed on Tuesday.
Gabriel was dismissed following an off-the-ball clash with Chelsea striker Diego Costa late in the first half of the Gunners’ 2-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge and was facing a three-match ban for violent conduct.
“Arsenal’s claim of wrongful dismissal in relation to Gabriel has been upheld following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing,” read a statement from the FA.
“The player’s three-match suspension has, therefore, been withdrawn with immediate effect.”
However, Gabriel still faces a separate charge of improper conduct for his reaction after being shown the red card by referee Mike Dean.
He and Arsenal have until 1700 GMT on Thursday to respond to the charge.
Costa has also been charged with violent conduct after apparently swinging his arm at Laurent Koscielny during Saturday’s game and faces a three-match ban.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season