Liverpool striker Rickie Lambert will undergo a medical at West Brom after they had a bid accepted for the England international.
Press Association Sport understands the offer is just under £3million and the 33-year-old will now travel to the Midlands to complete the deal.
Lambert’s arrival at Anfield just over a year ago from Southampton for £4m was touted as a dream return for a player rejected by the club’s academy.
However, although he made 36 appearances most of those were as a substitute, and he struggled to get a run in the side, even with main striker Daniel Sturridge injured, as he did not really fit manager Brendan Rodgers’ style.
He scored just three goals, two of those in back-to-back Premier League matches in November when he was given a chance to start, but never really looked like a long-term option.
Earlier this week Baggies boss Tony Pulis went public with his admiration for Lambert.
“I think it is very important we get players who score goals and Rickie has a great goalscoring record,” he said.
“From what I can gather from people at Liverpool, his fitness levels are very good and he is desperate to play football.
“He didn’t play last year so it would be like bringing a brand new car out of the garage if you did sign him, just putting a bit of petrol in him and letting him run.”
At Stoke Pulis built a reputation for maximizing the talents of big, strong front men alongside a willing runner and Lambert fits the mould of the former ideally with the manager no doubt hoping he can hang on to Saido Berahino in the face of interest from Tottenham.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Former Bayern boss Kovac to coach Wolfsburg
- Ancelotti ‘respects’ Mbappe decision, says Real Madrid focused on final
- UK police to take no action after Vieira ‘kick’ at Everton fan
- West Ham’s Kurt Zouma pleads guilty to kicking pet cat
- Top-tier Chongqing latest Chinese football club to fold
- Son Heung-min’s ‘joyous’ Golden Boot hailed by S.Korea president
- Man Utd need ‘major surgery’ under Ten Hag – Dwight Yorke
- Xavi says Barcelona need rebuild but silent on Lewandowski
- Roma and Feyenoord hoping to turn the corner in Conference League final
- Chelsea tickets on sale for U.S. friendlies