Sergio Ramos is closer to staying at Real Madrid after holding face-to-face talks with Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, according to a report from the Spanish publication Marca.
It has been widely reported that the team captain was intent on leaving the club because he felt his relationship with Perez was “fractured” and had reached the point of no return.
Ramos was promised an improved contract by the club president, then sat quietly while Perez extended deals for striker Karim Benzema, Raphael Varane and Luka Modric; and also green-lit the signings of Toni Kroos, James Rodriguez, Keylor Navas, Lucas Silva, Martin Odegaard, Danilo and Kiko Casilla over the past twelve months.
The team captain was also beside himself in May after the president manipulated Real Madrid’s board into rubber stamping the sacking of manager Carlo Ancelotti.
He was also “unhappy” with the way the club and Perez did not dismiss transfer speculation which had linked him with a switch to Barcelona in June.
In June, it was reported that Ramos had decided to leave Real Madrid – with Manchester United being his preferred destination. However it now appears that all has been forgiven and the veteran player is willing to finish his career at Real Madrid.
According to Marca, a meeting took place on Sunday between Florentino Perez, club director Jose Angel Sanchez, Sergio Ramos and his brother/agent Rene.
While a definitive agreement has not been reached between the player and the club, the meeting broke the tension between Perez and Ramos and there is now a line of communication.
Further talks are expected to take place between Real Madrid and the player’s agent while the team is on tour in Asia.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ