Manchester United will finalize a deal for Barcelona forward Pedro once the sale of Angel di Maria is completed to Paris Saint-Germain.
Since the story first broke of Di Maria’s potential sale to the Ligue Un champions last week, United manager Louis van Gaal has sidestepped questions pertaining to the future of his unsettled Argentine winger. However, as more and more time passes it has become increasing clear that Di Maria’s time in England has come to an end and United have already begun preparations to replace the talented South American in their lineup.
A little more than a week ago United opened talks with Pedro’s representatives in order to gauge the player’s interest in a possible move to Old Trafford.
The Barcelona forward has become increasingly unsettled at the Camp Nou following the arrival of Luis Suarez and the subsequent lack of playing time he has received from manager Luis Enrique.
Even though Pedro recently signed an extension with the Catalan club, a clause was placed in his new deal which required the club to negotiate a transfer, provided the player’s €30 million valuation was met.
While no official bid has been made to Barcelona officials – as of yet – it is understood that United have prepared a €25 million offer for Pedro with an addition €7 million euros in add-ons.
Barcelona boss Luis Enrique is against the transfer but admits that he would be powerless to stop a move if the forward’s valuation is met – and Pedro expressed a desire to leave.
The Spain international is concerned that a lack of playing time under Enrique will effect his chances of being included in La Roja’s squad for the upcoming Euro 2016.
The understanding is Van Gaal is prepared to line Pedro up alongside Wayne Rooney and Memphis Depay at the front of United’s attack – something that won’t happen at Barcelona so long as Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar are healthy.
There had been reports that Pedro had asked United to wait until the conclusion of the Spanish Super Cup in mid-August, but it appears that rumor was false.
Once the sale of Di Maria to PSG is complete, it can be expected that Louis van Gaal will green-light an official bid for Pedro. The manager is intent on completing the transfer sooner rather than later in order to assimilate the player to his squad and solidify his lineup before the club’s Premier League opener against Tottenham on August 8th.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family