Nicolas Otamendi is edging closer to a move to Manchester United as it is being reported that his agent is currently in talks with Valencia officials to accelerate his departure from the La Liga side.
According to numerous reports, the 27-year-old has already agreed personal terms with United and will make around £6 million per season once the English club meets Valencia’s valuation of the Argentine defender.
In May, the player’s agent Eugenio Lopez told Cadena SER that his client wished to leave Valencia and had informed the club’s former president Amadeo Salvo of his desire to leave the Mestalla.
Last month, Otamendi told the media that the words of his representative were made with his complete authorization.
“I’ve had a talk with the Valencia president and my agent, and he knows what my wish is,” the defender said.
“Valencia know very well what I want. From there, every word my agent says is obviously with my authorization.”
It is understood that the Argentine’s desire was to have his transfer finalized around the time of the conclusion of the Copa America.
Now that the South American tournament has concluded Otamendi is keen to have his future sorted out before he returns from holiday.
His agent is currently in talks with Valencia’s new president, Lay Hoon Chan, and the player’s representative is confident of convincing the official to lower the club’s £35 million asking price for the defender.
There are growing reports emanating from Spain that a deal will take place between United and Valencia before the end of the week. And late last night, a story began making the rounds that the Spanish side had already reached an agreement with Zenit St Petersburg defender Ezequiel Garay to be Otamendi’s replacement; once the centre-back’s transfer to Manchester United is finalized.
Recently, United officials put their interest in the Argentine defender “on hold” after having their heads turned by the news from the Spanish capital of the well-publicized fallout between Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and defender Sergio Ramos.
The English club have focused their attention on acquiring the 29-year-old Spain international with some reports suggesting that Otamendi was an option to replace Ramos in Madrid next season – should the vice-captain elect to leave the Bernabeu.
However, last week, Otamendi’s agent informed the media: “Before Sergio Ramos leaves Real Madrid – if he does leave – Otamendi will be playing for another club.”
That now appears to be the case.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more