The 2015 edition of the Emirates Cup will feature Olympique Lyonnais, Villarreal, VfL Wolfsburg and, of course, Arsenal. The annual pre-season invitational tournament will be the eighth instalment, with every match being played at the Emirates Stadium in north London.
The four game competition will be kicked off with Wolfsburg playing Villarreal and Arsenal matching up against Lyon on Saturday, July 25. Lyon versus Villarreal and Arsenal versus Wolfsburg wrap up the Emirates Cup on the following day.
Like most matches, teams will be awarded three points for a win and one point for a draw in the tournament; however, the Emirates Cup format is a bit unique after that. For each goal a club scores, they will be awarded another point in the standings and shots on target will also come into factor if there are multiple clubs on level points following the conclusion of the competition.
Ivan Gazidis, Arsenal’s Chief Executive, said on the announcement of the teams involved, “We are delighted to be able to confirm three leading European club teams for this year’s Emirates Cup. Lyon, Villarreal and Wolfsburg have some fantastic players and will all contribute to an entertaining weekend of football for our supporters.”
“Lyon and Wolfsburg will also provide a good competitive challenge for our players as they prepare for the new season. Emirates have sponsored this tournament since 2007 and we thank them again for their long-standing commitment to Arsenal Football Club, and their support in helping to make this a great weekend of football each year.”
Former Arsenal player, Nicklas Bendtner, will make his first appearance at The Emirates as a visiting player when the Gunners face Wolfsburg in the final match of the tournament. The Denmark international scored 47 total goals during his seven seasons in red and white.
Although Arsenal will not play Villarreal during the competition in July, Gunners Santi Cazorla and Gabriel Paulista will be able to watch their former club and visit with past teammates and friends while the Yellow Submarine are in north London.
The Gunners are looking to win the Emirates Cup for the fourth time in eight years.
Official Emirates Cup schedule:
Saturday, July 25th
9:00 AM (EST) – Wolfsburg v. Villarreal
11:20 AM (EST) – Arsenal v. Lyon
Sunday, July 26th
9:00 AM (EST) – Lyon v. Villarreal
11:20 AM (EST) – Arsenal v. Wolfsburg
30+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes TUDN, GolTV, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more