Athletic Bilbao have confirmed they will be without Iker Muniain for six to seven months after tests revealed the forward had suffered a cruciate ligament tear in his left knee.
The 22-year-old went down after going in for a challenge with Sevilla’s Ever Banega during Bilbao’s 2-0 defeat on Saturday.
Muniain was then taken from the field on a stretcher and had been hoping the injury was sprain.
Unfortunately, the diagnosis could not have been worse.
The forward will now miss the Copa del Rey final against Barcelona on May 30, and will likely be sidelined for the start of the 2015-16 campaign.
Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera, who played alongside Muniain for three seasons, sent his friend a message via social media when news of the injury first broke.
The former Athletic Bilbao playmaker posted the following words to his official Instagram account: “With you more than ever my friend, football will miss you these few months.”
Muniain is a product of Bilbao’s youth system and has made over 200 appearances for the Basque club since being called up to the senior squad in 2009.
In other injury news, Bilbao have also lost the services of midfielder Ander Iturraspe for several weeks, after the player tore a muscle in his right leg.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Hrustic, Rogic spearhead Australia squad for crunch World Cup playoff
- Deal Alert: Best streaming deals this Memorial Day Weekend
- Africa beckons for Royal after dramatic draw with Orlando Pirates
- Regret? Skupski prioritises French Open over Champions League ticket
- Klopp urges Liverpool to show Madrid who’s boss in Champions League final
- Ancelotti says Real Madrid can achieve ‘the maximum’ by winning Champions League
- Mancini thanks Chiellini before Italy send-off against Argentina
- How to watch UEFA Nations League on US TV and streaming
- Klopp shrugs off Mane speculation, but concerned over new Paris pitch
- ‘Things change’ – Ceferin warns Europe’s old elite before Champions League final