German international Mats Hummels has admitted he is considering a future away from Borussia Dortmund.
Since the summer, Hummels has been strongly linked with a move to Manchester United. But the defender has always denied any interest in leaving Dortmund, where he won back-to-back Bundesliga titles in 2012 and 2013 and reached the 2013 Champions League final.
This season, despite reaching the Champions League quarter-finals, Dortmund are currently in tenth place in the Bundesliga and are in danger of missing out on European football altogether next season.
It now appears the club’s position has given Hummels reason to reconsider his long term future in Dortmund.
In an interview with the German publication Kicker, Hummels admitted he has been mulling over his future with the Bundesliga club and wanted to make the club’s supporters aware of his thought process so they wouldn’t be surprised should he decide to ultimately leave.
“Some days I think I would definitely like to move abroad but then, other days, I think I don’t fancy it all,” Hummels said when asked about interest from Manchester United.
“Basically, I think moving abroad would be good for my professional and personal well-being. Eventually, I’d like to leave the Bundesliga.
“I have had many conversations with the leaders of Dortmund, where I know I am a big part of the team, but I am yet to make a decision about my future.
“I am being open about this because I’m not a fan of those who claim they are staying but, behind the scenes, have actually secretly agreed a transfer away from their current club.
“I will do what is best for my career and what I would like to do. Everyone knows how much I love it at Dortmund but I also want to make sure I’m part of a strong team with powerful players.”
Two weeks ago, Daily Mail reporter Mike Keegan tweeted that sources close to Manchester United had told him the club has already agreed to three deals for the summer.
While many United fans are already speculating Hummels is one of those names, the belief is the German defender is not one of the players who has committed his future to the twenty-time champions of England.
Speculation is the players involved are: Southampton right-back Nathaniel Clyne, PSV Eindhoven winger Memphis Depay and Athletic Bilbao centre-back Aymeric Laporte.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family