Connect with us

Soccer On TV

How much do you pay for your cable or satellite bill?

xfinity-tv-guide-and-remote

Cable and satellite bills are like plane tickets. You could be sitting in Economy class as your plane is taxi-ing down the runway, but the majority of passengers in the plane have paid a variety of prices for their seat — some more than you, some far less. But all of the Economy passengers are getting the same service, no matter what price they paid.

The same applies to your cable or satellite TV bill. No matter what TV provider you have, the prices differ. But by how much?

This is an invitation to you, the reader, to come clean and tell us how much you’re paying for your cable or satellite bill. It’s something that we rarely talk about in public, but it’s of upmost importance to all of the readers as we’re all consuming soccer on our TV sets and digital devices each week.

I’ll start.

Living in South Florida, my cable bill with Comcast XFINITY is $94.54 per month. It used to be $86.84 before they raised their price last month.

For that $94.54 per month, I get:

• High-speed Internet,
• Digital cable (“Bronze Advantage Pak”),
• HD TV service,
• Sports pack (which includes beIN SPORTS) and
• HBO.

My Home Owners Association (HOA) pays for the HBO service and Basic Cable as part of a deal that they have grandfathered in with the community where I live.

So I get FOX Sports 1 (HD), FOX Sports 2 (SD), beIN SPORTS, ESPN, ESPN2 and NBC Sports Network as my go-to soccer channels. But my cable company doesn’t offer access to FOX Soccer Plus. GolTV is available but only on one of the Spanish-language channels that I would have to pay extra for.

So what about you?

How much is your cable or satellite bill? Let us know in the comments section below and which TV provider you’re using.

I look forward to reading your stories.

And perhaps it’ll help enlighten some of us (myself included) whether we’re paying too much or too little for our current TV offering.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
24 Comments

24 Comments

1. Benfica1968

March 30, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Charter Cable in Upstate South Carolina. All the usual sports channels, but no Bein Sports available. NBC Live Extra on internet. No Latino channels. Cable is $112.95, no movie channels. Internet (quite fast) $51.99. With Taxes & fees for both total $185. Too expensive, so many channels I have never watched, and never will!

2. Roy Gathercoal

March 4, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I do not have Cable television. Largely because I am disabled and living on $700/month. Fortunately my wife is working.

I get Frontier (used to be Verizon) FIOS for $45 per month. I buy FoxSports and MLS Live online. Watch a large number of scattered games on the internet.

It seems to me someone could make some money while providing a great service by searching out the multitude of free streaming options on the net and notifying viewers each month/week where to go to find specific games.

Looks like Cable TV is fighting a nasty and losing battle with the Internet. This is why it keeps fighting to keep sports content unavailable to internet viewers. Seeing prices in these responses, I can see why! $200 per month for television!

Folks, this is a clear example of “what the market will bear.” Not to mention the award-winning customer service of cable television companies. . .

3. NaBUru38

March 3, 2015 at 11:43 am

I live in Uruguay. As a longtime subscriber, cable television costs about US$ 30 per month.

For that money, I get ESPN, ESPN+, Fox Sports main / 2 / 3 and TyC Sports. So I get two English Premier League matches per week, three Spanish Liga matches, plenty of UEFA, Serie A Italia and Argentine Primera, some Brazilian football. I also get F1, MotoGP, Nascar, Argentine motor racing, some NBA, NFL, MLB and cycling, and plenty of rugby, tennis and golf. I don’t have ESPN3, so I get no IndyCar and miss some European and Brazilian football.

We have two HD decos but no HD channels, the basic pack costs US$ 10. I also get no Uruguayan football (why would anyone pay extra for such crappy teams?)

There’s a state monopoly on internet, so that’s another story.

4. He's Livid

March 2, 2015 at 2:55 pm

SoCal – Charter Communication,$200 per month for fully loaded cable, HS internet and useless land line phone service. No Fox Soccer or Premier League Extra is offered. Gol and beIn is an additional charge. Also, One World Sports is available is you dig the J-League. One thing I don’t dig is the picture quality disparity between NBC and NBCSN – they need to rethink that.

5. John G.

March 2, 2015 at 2:53 pm

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The cable portion of my bill is about $120 (I also have high-speed Internet). I get FS1 in HD, BEin English and Spanish, ESPN Deportes, Fox Deportes in SD. I also have Premier League Extra on Comcast on Demand and have had good luck with it both live and on playback.

I am very unhappy that when Comcast dropped Fox Soccer Channel they did not pick up Fox Sports 2… they did so as part of playing hardball with FSN. Given Fox picking up more and more soccer in the future, I figure my coverage will continue to degrade over time.

• John G.

March 2, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I also have NBCSN (of course) in HD.

6. Adam

March 2, 2015 at 11:53 am

I live in central PA and I have Comcast/Xfinity. I pay about $150 for digital cable starter package (includes NBCSN, FS 1 (no FS 2)), and internet. The NBCSN Xtra time stuff is live ON Demand, it sucks, I wouldn’t recommend it. I pay $8 a month for the sports package that includes SD BeIN among other sports channels I have no interest in (MLB?? talk about boring).

Thinking about DirecTV, but I am nervous I will not get a decent signal, lot of trees around my property.

7. rkujay

March 2, 2015 at 4:08 am

I live in tampa. I have directv which I pay, with tax $139. I have their xtra pkg. and the sports pkg which I get nbcsn and extra time, fox 1&2, and bein. plus a lot of regional bs sports which I never watch save the occaissional champs league match. Since I get NO movie channels, my wife has me buy netflix for $9. /mo, I use verizon fios for internet and home phone for which I pay $97/mo. The government told us consolidation would result in lower bills. When the lawmakers tell you this….assume the opposite. This crap costs way way way too much. I yearn for a way to have my footy and keep my wife and wallet.

8. chapeloose

February 28, 2015 at 7:28 pm

whatever i pay, i’d pay a lot less if i was able to cut out these garbage, un-American soccer games that infest my cable package. i suspect 99.9999999% of Americans would do the same if they could. because soccer is the world’s most boring, un-American sport, and no one in the U.S. does or will ever care about it.

• Lumen

February 28, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Haha. The intelligencia appears. Perfect.

• Eddie

March 1, 2015 at 10:11 pm

If “no one in the U.S. does or will ever care” about soccer, how do you explain the existence of this website? Moreover, troll, what exactly are you doing on this website? I mean, it mustn’t be worth your time (or that of any other American) considering that it deals with a sport that “no one is in the U.S. does or will ever care about”? (Note: Sarcasm intended)

9. Guy

February 28, 2015 at 9:59 am

I’m in eastern NC with Time Warner. My total bill, taxes and fees and DVR service included, is $120 per month. $32 of that is for the internet.

So, for $88 a month I get a gazillion channels I never watch other than the ESPN’s, plus the Sports Pack which includes everything I could want including FS+ and beIN Sports.

Overall, I don’t feel too badly abused, but Sling TV is making me think that if NBC loses the BPL rights I might ditch everything and just go with Sling and Fox Soccer to Go. We’ll see. One little push is going to be all it takes for me to say “hasta la vista” to cable.

10. Bob H.

February 28, 2015 at 7:27 am

I live in Southeast Michigan. My provider is AT&T U-verse. My monthly package including internet is $238.00 per month. I have the U400 package. It includes the Sports package, HD Premium tier and all HD services. My monthly charge includes an extra $15.00 per month for Fox Soccer Plus. I receive Bein, Bein Deportes, NBCSN, NBCSN Premier League Extra Time, Fox Sports 1&2, additional Spanish sports channels and all ESPN channels. All channels are in HD. Gol TV was dropped last year. I’m sure I pay too much, but I like all my options.

11. Dan

February 27, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I am with Bright House. My monthly bill is $180.00. That gets me HBO and Internet speeds of 75 down/5 up. The Sports Pass is $10/month and includes FOX Soccer +, beIN Sports, Gol TV, several regional FOX Sports Networks, as well as many other sports related channels. NBCSN and FOX Sports 1 are a part of the Standard service, along with the various ESPN channels. FOX Sports 2 is a part of the Premier service, which is the next step up from Standard. All of these channels are HD, plus we get the Premier League Extra Time channels.

12. Todd

February 27, 2015 at 6:23 pm

I used to use Dish Network for my cable service. With all of the DVR stuff packaged in I was paying around $90 per month and got NBC Sports Network, but nothing else that played soccer regularly (no Bein or Fox sports).
    In addition I pay about $90 per month for high speed internet from xfinity.

Recently we cut out the cable and have only the high speed internet. About the only live tv we were watching was soccer anyway.

13. Jyde

February 27, 2015 at 4:39 pm

at&t — uverse 450 (includes all the sports channels except fox soccer plus and all movie channels) and High Speed Internet Power (45mbps) for $130

14. Brian

February 27, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I pay $190 a month with Cox New England that includes high speed internet and all the sports channels that offer soccer, like beIN, Fox Sports 1 and 2 Gol TV and NBCSN. It includes the Hispanic bundle to include Fox Deportes and ESPN Deportes.

15. Tom Moore

February 27, 2015 at 4:01 pm

We have DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic for $125 a month with four HD receivers. Have to pay an extra $13.99 for regional sports channels, which I’m not thrilled about but is only way to see them.

Package includes all the various sports channels in HD – ESPN family, Fox Sports 1 and 2, NBC Sports Network.

• Tayo

February 27, 2015 at 8:42 pm

You enjoying premier league extra?

• Tom Moore

February 28, 2015 at 9:39 am

Yes, it’s nice to have in case I’m not interested in the primary game (i.e. Chelsea) on NBC Sports Network.

• Tayo

March 1, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Yea as a Chelsea fan I feel for other fans, it seems NBC primarily focus on the club that is on top of the league

16. Tayo

February 27, 2015 at 1:29 pm

$180, triple play with Verizon Fios. I get the Ultimate plan because I want BEIN sports. FS2 is not in HD, FS+ is also not in HD, no premier league xtra. My contract expires in 28 days and I am seriously considering DirectTV at this point

17. CTBlues

February 27, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I have DirecTV and I am now paying $196.96 because they raised prices was about $184 I believe last month. I get all the channels minus the forigen language channels, HD, and total home DVR. But I am thinking of going back to Optimum since they only charge $8 for the sports package which gets you beIN Sport HD, NBCSN HD, Fox Sports 1 HD, Fox Sports 2 SD and I will still have access to WatchESPN/ESPN3 but I have to double check about Fox Sports Go. MSG+ is our local FSN so I also get that. I have to say I think DirecTV has better picture and sound quality than cable except for our local ABC network is kinda crappy on DirecTV, but that is probably on the networks end.

• CTBlues

February 27, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention it because I like never watch it now Optimum bundles FS+ HD into the $8 sports package and I don’t pay the $15 for the part time HD version on DirecTV.