Swansea manager Garry Monk has expressed surprise that he has been able to capture Jack Cork from Southampton.
Cork has completed his move to Swansea after passing his medical on Friday afternoon in south Wales to put the finishing touches on the £3million deal.
Swansea head to Southampton on Sunday for a Barclays Premier League game but Cork’s signing will come too late for the 25-year-old to make his debut for the club at St Mary’s.
“We’re just trying to finalize things and hopefully have an announcement pretty soon,” Monk said at his pre-match press conference.
“It’s hopefully more or less a done deal and it’s a good move for us.
“I pushed a little bit for him to come in the summer, but it didn’t happen because he was committed to Southampton and going forward with them.
“But when the opportunity came up again in this window, we were happy to have the chance to bring him in.
“I was surprised a little bit he was available. I understand an offer of a new contract was in place at Southampton, but for whatever reasons he felt he didn’t want to sign it.
“He wanted to come here and we have showed the same enthusiasm to sign him, so that’s a good recipe.”
Cork has played nearly 130 games since joining Southampton in 2011 but he has started only five Premier League matches since Ronald Koeman was appointed Saints manager last summer.
He has struggled to dislodge Morgan Schneiderlin, Victor Wanyama and Steve Davis from the Southampton midfielder but Monk said he was impressed with Cork’s pedigree.
“He’s got good experience at this level and he is a British player which is good,” Monk said.
“He has a Chelsea background as well so he has got good pedigree, and he is at a good age to develop into a top midfielder.
“Jack will add to quality we already have at the club and my job is to mould him slightly into what we want to do here.”
But Monk said Swansea’s move to sign Norwich full-back Martin Olsson had stumbled with the two clubs unable to agree on a valuation for the Swedish international.
“We have our valuation of players and other clubs will have theirs of what players are worth,” Monk said.
“If it doesn’t meet a deal won’t be done and that’s the same with every negotiation you go into.
“We put a bid in (for Olsson) but it doesn’t look as if the two clubs will agree on a valuation – and that’s where that deal is right now.”
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family