FOX Sports has hired John Strong as a full-time commentator to beef up its soccer coverage in 2015 and beyond.
Strong, who has been unanimously heralded by experts as one of the most talented American presenters and commentators on soccer, has been given the position after expert appearances in recent years on NBC Sports and FOX Sports. The US soccer expert has bounced around between the two sports networks until now finding a permanent home at FOX Sports.
With FOX adding MLS and the Women’s World Cup to its repertoire of TV rights, the addition of John Strong to FOX’s lineup will add credibility and experience to a broadcast team that has been woeful for several years despite adding Alexi Lalas this month.
Strong is multi-talented and is just as good as a presenter as he is a commentator. In fact, his presenter skills are slightly better. However, Rob Stone will keep his role as presenter while Strong will feature as a play-by-play announcer. Strong does provide FOX Sports a natural replacement for Stone though if the former ESPN employee is busy covering other sports or is absent.
Strong has regularly contributed to its coverage the UEFA Europa League, CONCACAF Champions League and CONCACAF Women’s World Cup Qualifying. He called the 2013 UEFA Europa League Final and hosted studio coverage for FOX Sports’ coverage of the 2014 FIFA Club World Cup and the whip-around UEFA Champions League show, MultiMatch 90. Most recently, Strong served as lead play-by-play announcer for the MLS and called Barclays Premier League matches for NBC Sports.
“I’ve watched FOX Sports build momentum for its soccer coverage both through new properties like the men’s and women’s World Cup, MLS and Bundesliga, as well as with the addition of talented, well-respected professionals like Alexi and Brad,” offered Strong. “I’m honored to join that effort and call FOX Sports my exclusive professional home.”
Hats off to FOX Sports for making the wise decision to sign John Strong to an exclusive contract.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Mbappe’s decision to stay at PSG good for French football: Deschamps
- Tens of thousands of Liverpool fans turn Paris red
- Abramovich says owning Chelsea ‘honour of lifetime’ as sale set for completion
- Western United upset Melbourne City to win A-League final
- Liverpool and Real Madrid ready for mouth-watering Champions League final
- Chelsea sale to Boehly consortium to be completed on Monday
- Liverpool and Real Madrid ready for Champions League final rematch
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Real Madrid on US TV
- Hrustic, Rogic spearhead Australia squad for crunch World Cup playoff
- Deal Alert: Best streaming deals this Memorial Day Weekend