Sky Sports Monday Night Football has produced some amazing punditry in recent times. Over the past few years, former Premier League defenders Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville have provided moments of genuine banter and analytical genius.
Prior to his evening’s match between Stoke City and Chelsea, Neville and Carragher combine to share their passionate thoughts on the current makeup of Premier League clubs. The ex-captains of Manchester United and Liverpool respectively have numerous domestic and European titles between them and were able to provide some fantastic insight into the English top flight.
After dissecting the Liverpool-Arsenal match from this weekend, Neville and Carragher went on for close to six minutes about the state of Premier League clubs, as compared to other European sides. The two agreed that the top-sides in England lack “power” and “intensity” in their squads and are focusing too much on technical players.
Neville commented that after working the Liverpool-Arsenal match for Sky Sports, he went back to his hotel room “disappointed” by what he had seen earlier in the day at Anfield. The current England national team assistant coach said when he got back to his room, he turned on his television in time to see the second half of Athletic Bilbao vs. Atletico Madrid.
Neville then goes on to describe what he saw during Sunday night’s match at the San Mames, before ultimately shouting: “This is football! Hallelujah! HALLELUJAH!”
What followed was a gripping five to six minute conversation as the two former European champions stated that – with the exception of Chelsea – today’s Premier League clubs have fallen behind the rest of Europe.
If you missed it, here it is (apologies in advance for the pop-ups in the video):
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Chelsea sale gets green light from UK government
- UK government authorises sale of Chelsea FC
- Where to find AS Roma vs. Feyenoord on US TV
- ‘World’s best’ Alisson: The goalkeeper who transformed Liverpool
- Benzema needs final triumph to make Champions League his own
- Violent clashes in Tirana before the Conference League final
- Klopp named Premier League manager of the year
- Premier League season 2nd most-watched ever in US history
- Euro titles ‘no help’ to Mourinho ahead of Conference League final
- Premier League approve Boehly’s takeover of Chelsea