Manchester United defender Paddy McNair has been named in the Northern Ireland squad for their Euro 2016 qualifier against Romania. The international call-up is the first for the 19-year-old United youth academy product. He is the only uncapped player in the 25-man squad which was announced today.
McNair, who has featured three times for United this season including Sunday’s derby defeat to Manchester City, has been brought in as coverage for defender Aaron Hughes who picked up an ankle injury playing for Brighton.
Northern Ireland have had a solid start to their qualifying campaign, winning their opening three games for the first time in history. They are currently two points ahead of second-place Romania.
McNair was previously in line for a call-up prior to the last international break, but was ruled out after suffering an injury during United’s match against Everton on October 5th.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season