EXCLUSIVE: Eagle-eyed viewers will have noticed that NBC Sports beta tested a brand-new feature on its app during a Premier League match last weekend that featured a tactical cam (see screenshot above).
Officially, NBC Sports Digital will formally debut its “Tactical Cam” during next Monday’s Manchester City-Liverpool game (3pm ET kickoff). The tactical cam is a high sideline camera meant to show all 22 players on the pitch at the same time, enabling fans to see formations and evaluate each team’s attacking and defending tactics as the game progresses.
The tactical cam will be available in both the NBC Sports Live Extra desktop and mobile/tablet presentations of the game. This new second screen application can be viewed in a Picture-in-Picture presentation on desktop where the user has the option of popping up the tactical cam in the main screen while following the main coverage in a smaller viewing window. Or it can be minimized if you don’t want the tactical cam impeding your viewing experience.
On the NBC Sports Live Extra mobile app, tactical cam can be viewed as a separate stream to complement the traditional broadcast view.
“The tactical cam is our latest attempt to give U.S.-based fans of the Premier League the best and most comprehensive coverage available anywhere,” said Tom Seeley, Vice President, Editorial, NBC Sports Digital. “After making every game available to fans in the U.S. for the first time last season, we’re hoping that additions like ‘Tactical Cam’ will give fans even more to enjoy every weekend.”
Additional second screen applications within NBC Sports Live Extra Premier League coverage includes a video player that features HD video, in-game DVR capability, social media commentary as well as live, statistical data feeds from each game related to the teams and players.
NBC conducted a limited test of the tactical cam during Monday’s Burnley-Chelsea game but Monday’s match between Manchester City and Liverpool will feature a full product rollout over both desktop and mobile.
The decision by NBC Sports to add the feature is a positive step in the right direction in order to enhance the viewing experience. The tactical cam will give viewers a chance to see things that they otherwise wouldn’t be able to spot, which will be a big hit for the fans who love to dive deep into the tactical side of the league.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family