One of the worst kept secrets in English football has now been officially confirmed by the player. Bacary Sagna’s Arsenal career has ended.
“It’s no longer a secret: I’ll leave Arsenal,” Sagna told L’Equipe. “They tried to make an effort, but the discussions have not gone in the direction I wanted.”
Sagna has been strongly linked with a move to Premier League Champions Manchester City. If he does sign with the Blues, Sagna will face his former side in the Charity Shield at Wembley in August. Sagna’s final Gunners performance was in the 3-2 (AET) FA Cup victory over Hull City.
“To finish at Wembley with the Cup, it was something magical, ” Sagna said.
While a move to Manchester City may see an increase in wages for the French defender (Bacary Sagna is expected to sign a three-year deal worth around £120,000 a week at Manchester City), he will be hard pressed to break into the first team at the Etihad. But the Blues, having fallen afoul of UEFA’s Financial Fair Play rules, are limited in transfer spending this summer, thus must seek cheaper options like Sagna who is out of contract and available without a transfer fee.
At the same time, Chelsea are reported to be interested in signing the French defender.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso
- Barcelona VP says Messi return would be ‘possible financially’
- Brands hoping World Cup boosts Gen Z interest in soccer
- Hummel makes statement with World Cup kits for Denmark
- 3 reasons Arlington is not ideal host for 2026 World Cup final
- Richarlison racially abused in Brazil’s win over Tunisia
- Where to find Chelsea vs. West Ham on US TV
- USMNT staggers into World Cup following draw with Saudi Arabia
- 2026 World Cup Final will reportedly be in Arlington, Texas