The fiery Serbian derby between Red Star Belgrade and Partizan Belgrade bore a closer resemblance to a Rage Against The Machine music video than a soccer match today after Partizan fans literally set the stadium on fire.
The crazy Partizan fans ignited several fires on the concrete terraces around the stadium. Fire trucks were brought in to try to extinguish the flames. The fires happened after Partizan fans threw flares on to the track around the pitch early in the second half. The fans looked for any objects they could find to start a huge fire at their end of the ground.
The referee stopped play for 10 minutes to allow the smoke to blow away from the pitch at Red Star’s Marakana stadium.
Red Star Belgrade took the 1-0 lead in the 18th minute thanks to an own goal by Milan Obradovic. Red Star managed to hold on to win the derby with the one goal making the difference.
Watch the video below to see what happened:
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & MLS
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more