Five matches remain in the third round of the Capital One Cup tonight, but most of the attention will be focused on Old Trafford where Manchester United play Liverpool in a match where we may see the return of Luis Suarez.
Suarez, who was banned for 10 matches for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic, is playing tonight, with manager Brendan Rodgers wanting to give him some match time.
For Manchester United, meanwhile, they’re still reeling from a 4-1 defeat against Manchester City coupled with the injury blow to striker Robin van Persie. While the momentum is with Liverpool right now, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a much more spirited and determined performance from United this evening as they battle back to put their stamp on the game.
For viewers in the United States, Manchester United against Liverpool will be shown live on beIN SPORT at 2:45pm ET.
Manchester United: De Gea, Rafael, Evans, Smalling, Buttner, Nani, Jones, Giggs, Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez
Liverpool: Mignolet, Toure, Sakho, Skrtel, Enrique, Henderson, Lucas, Gerrard, Moses, Suarez, Sturridge
Manchester United against Liverpool isn’t the only Capital One Cup game on tonight. The other matches are:
Newcastle United v Leeds United
Tranmere Rovers v Stoke City
Birmingham City v Swansea City
West Bromwich Albion v Arsenal
Arsene Wenger has decided to field an Arsenal team that will feature mostly youth or reserve players. He’s staying true to his philosophy of trying to give his youngsters valuable match practice instead of putting his best foot forward to try to win a piece of silverware. Hopefully, for Gunners fans, they can balance playing youth players with earning victories in this tournament. West Bromwich Albion fans though may feel their team has a good chance of defeating Arsenal tonight especially with the match being at the Hawthorns.
West Brom: L Daniels, Reid, Dawson, Lugano, Popov, Mulumbu, Dorrans, Sessegnon, Sinclair, Berahino, Long
Arsenal: Fabianski, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Monreal, Hayden, Arteta, Eisfeld, Ryo, Bendtner, Gnabry
Birmingham: Doyle; Spector, Burn, Robinson; Caddis, Adeyemi, Reilly, Hancox; Burke, Green, Ferguson
Swansea: Tremmel, Tiendalli, Amat, Monk, Taylor, Britton, de Guzman, Shelvey, Lamah, Pozuelo, Bony.
Newcastle: Krul; Debuchy, Williamson, Coloccini (c), Dummett; Anita, Tiote; Marveaux, Gouffran, Sammy Ameobi; Cisse.
Leeds United: Kenny, Byram, Wootton, Pearce, Warnock, Austin, Mowatt, Tonge, McCormack, Poleon, Smith.
Tranmere: Williams, Hateley, Taylor, Dugdale, Horwood, Atkinson, Power, Rowe, Lowe, Akpa Akpro, Stockton.
Stoke: Sorensen; Cameron, Shawcross (c), Huth, Muniesa; Pennant, Ireland, Palacios, Whelan, Arnautovic; Crouch
Before, during or after today’s matches, join the conversation with fellow soccer fans from around the world in the comments section below.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family