Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank is in significant discussions with Major League Soccer about bringing an expansion franchise to the city, according to a report tonight in the Atlanta Journal Constitution newspaper.
A new stadium is scheduled to be completed in 2017, and there are reports that the new Atlanta Falcon stadium could host a MLS team.
MLS Commissioner Don Garber said yesterday that three of the four new MLS franchises are spoken for. The leading contenders for the four open spots are Orlando, Miami and now Atlanta.
MLS may finally be returning to the southeastern United States a very long twelve-year absence.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- MLS a step closer to Atlanta — Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Cardiff City make away end feel like home ground for traveling fans — Dirty Tackle
- Newcastle legends warn Mike Ashley that Joe Kinnear is the wrong man for the job — The Mirror
- Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor will not be involved against Norwich — Sky Sports
- Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher says fans want England to play like Swansea City — Wales Online
- Bolton plot loan swoop for West Brom’s England under-21 starlet Saido Berahino — The Mirror
- Glen Johnson hands Liverpool injury boost as defender set to return ahead of schedule — Metro
- U21 Premier League to have promotion and relegation — Premier League
- Gareth Bale says he is ready to make his Real Madrid debut against Villarreal on Saturday — Independent
- Rafa Benitez: There’s no need for pessimism – English kids are often better than foreign ones — Independent
- Roberto Martínez: English youth as good as any but it soon gets lost — The Guardian
- Martin O’Neill: No contact about Republic of Ireland job — BBC Sport
- Phil Jones hits back at Stuart Pearce over England Under-21 snub claim — The Guardian
- FIFA dismisses sanctions against New Zealand — Pro Soccer Talk
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family