For some Stoke City supporters, appointing Mark Hughes as the manager of their club could be their worst nightmare. Talks between Hughes and Stoke City are progressing to the point where the former QPR manager could be appointed by the club as early as the end of the week.
While the negativity about the possible appointment of Hughes is palatable, I believe the bloke deserves another chance. Outside of his dreadful managerial experience at Queens Park Rangers, Hughes has had tremendous success with Blackburn Rovers, an impressive run with the Welsh national team, as well as a mixed track record at Manchester City and Fulham.
Just as Andre Villas-Boas was a flop at Chelsea before coming good at Tottenham, it’s quite conceivable that Mark Hughes can be a success at Stoke City. He’s used to managing a team with a physical style of play (Blackburn). He’s helped teams qualify for Europe (Fulham and Blackburn), and has a relatively good track record for signing talent (Nigel de Jong, Gareth Barry, Craig Bellamy, Ryan Nelson, etc).
If Hughes can keep his spending in check, he could very well be the type of manager that Stoke City needs to slowly improve the squad. Agree or disagree? Share your opinion below.
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Mark Hughes could be confirmed as Stoke manager by end of week — The Guardian
- Stoke City see Mark Hughes as the manager with an eye for a bargain — The Telegraph
- Ashley Cole handed England captaincy against Ireland in chaotic manner — The Guardian
- Chelsea thank Napoli-bound Rafa Benitez for his services to club — Sky Sports
- Champions League final draws TV audience of 360 million — FC Business
- How the Champions League final dominated online — Mashable
- Crystal Palace’s Premier League riches will not spark lavish spending — The Guardian
- Planning permission granted for Olympic Stadium conversion — West Ham United
- Carlos Tevez future unclear as Manchester City consider contract offer — The Guardian
- Toronto FC has allegedly offered $10m for the services of Man City’s Carlos Tevez — LanceNet
- Manchester City fans create mosaic of club crest in their bathroom — The Mail
- David Bentley is set to leave Tottenham in summer with number of clubs interested — Sky Sports
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week
- Suarez bids Atletico farewell as Sevilla qualify for Champions League
- Sevilla draw with Atletico to qualify for Champions League
- Orlando Pirates reach CAF Cup final despite shock home defeat
- What is the best soccer game you have watched?
- Pochettino says French title ‘not enough’ but PSG can rebuild