By itself, FOX Soccer 2Go is a powerful service. On a typical weekend, FOX Soccer 2Go streams an average of six live Premier League matches. ESPN2/ESPN3.com shows one, while FOX Soccer — the flagship TV network — airs the other three. While FOX Soccer 2Go is a must-have for followers of the Premier League, it’d be even better if you could watch those three live games that FOX Soccer shows. While that isn’t possible, I do have a solution.
On Black Friday last year, I bought a device that, when properly installed, works marvelously on the go. Most of you may have heard of it and it’s called a Slingbox. It’s a placeshifting device that lets you watch TV on the go. I did an extensive review of it when I first got it.
The basic premise is this: Once installed, a Slingbox will allow you to run TV shows from your cable box via the website through your laptop or apps for your mobile devices. For free. Yes, free.
If you are sitting there in stunned disbelief, don’t be. It really does work. When I got the Slingbox, it was a no brainer…almost. If you read my review, while I had some initial frustration and caveats I had to endure to get everything up and running, in the time that I have had it, it has been beneficial. FOX Soccer and GolTV are at my beck and call. And I can even watch shows that I DVR.
I can’t tell you how many times I have been out and thankfully have caught portions of a game because of this device. As a matter of fact, I watched the Manchester United against Liverpool game while traveling to see my parents over the weekend. Plus, now most of my mornings aren’t complete unless I watch last night’s DVR’ed FOX Soccer Report on my phone.
One of my biggest field tests recently was when I traveled to Las Vegas in January. Being in a hotel room and the airport, and knowing that I couldn’t catch any of the matches locally, out came the iPad and off I went. Even two guys who sat nearby wound up watching some of a match I was watching. Again, it works as long as you have a good Internet connection.
A few things to keep in mind however:
– Although you have to buy the Slingbox device, you have access to your whole TV on the go and furthermore it’s a one-time cost. No annual renewal or subscriptions needed.
– Ok, so the picture is not high definition, but it’s probably the same if not better than what you are getting on the FOX Soccer 2Go.
– I can’t stress it enough, your picture is as good as your connection; Wifi is the way to go but 3G works as well too. But be mindful of your data usage.
– Check your cable provider to see if your cable box is compatible with Slingbox before purchasing it.
– If Slingbox isn’t the way to go check this website for other options as well as advice and troubleshooting for hooking up your device: www.placeshiftingenthusiasts.com
Here’s a breakdown of what it cost me:
- $170 for the Slingbox Solo (It does go on sale occasionally, so keep your eyes open),
- $65 for the wall ethernet adapter,
- $30 for the iPhone app (and you have to pay that amount for the iPad if you want to do both).
While Slingbox may not give you the entire soccer world on a mobile platter as the FOX Soccer 2Go app does, it does complement it so you’re able to see some of the matches when you aren’t in front of the TV.
Depending on where you live, and based on what kind of coverage you may already have, you can do so much more with his device. After a few months, and the initial headaches, I am satisfied with it.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Rangers vs. Frankfurt Europa League Final TV
- Qatar World Cup’s perplexing personal safety concerns
- Nottingham Forest need penalties to reach playoff final
- Liverpool beat Southampton to take title race to final day
- Frankfurt boosted by Lindstrom return for Europa League final
- Manchester United 2022/23 shirts leaked ahead of new season
- Senegal’s president supports Gueye after homophobia accusations
- Roofe gives Rangers cover for Europa League final
- Lucky trousers, big dreams as Glasner leads Frankfurt to Europa League final
- Hamburg relishing play-off bid to return to Bundesliga