Connect with us

General

Which EPL Club Do You Want To Face on Opening Day of the 2011-12 Season?

Only 25 days have passed since the 2010-11 Premier League season has passed, and already — tomorrow — the fixtures for the 2011-12 season will be announced tomorrow at 4am ET/9am UK time.

For many soccer fans, it’ll feel like Christmas morning as you get a chance to open your presents and find out what’s inside. But out of all of the teams in the Premier League, which one would you most like to face on the first weekend of the Premier League season when it kicks off on August 13, 2011 — just 58 days away?

In the comments section below, share which team you support and who you’d love to see your team play against on opening day.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
24 Comments

24 Comments

1. malcolm

June 17, 2011 at 6:28 am

David the Yank, yes I’m going to have to record the Arsenal – Liverpool game. Although I’m supposed to be in South Africa around that time and being that it is one of the bigger games it may be shown on TV there.

• IanCransonsKnees

June 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm

When I was in SA last November you could get pretty much any Premier League game that you wanted.

They’re all Man United fans though.

2. Nik Arur

June 17, 2011 at 2:35 am

Manchester United fan.

As I’m extremely superstitious, I’d like to see us play Swansea or QPR. Last season, we played newly promoted Newcastle with the in-form Andy Carroll, so this year it should be newly promoted Swansea/QPR with in-form Scott Sinclair/Adel Taarabt, respectively.

Of course this is completely nonsensical logic and we’ll have to play everyone twice in the end.

3. jsiim

June 17, 2011 at 2:13 am

I’d like to see Fulham against QPR. Let’s see what the new guys are made of.

4. Bob

June 16, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Team is Spurs. Last two openers have been massive games – L’pool and Man City. Let’s keep it going with a London derby. Chelski or Gooners. Stand up if you hate Arsenal, Stand Up!

5. William

June 16, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Gaffer will be pleased to know that the majority of Liverpool fans on their boards are predicting an away game to Swansea. If it happens I can see it being the early fixture on Saturday and that ESPN2 will then show the game at 7:45 AM.

Personally I think Liverpool will be away to Stoke.

• The Gaffer

June 16, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Fingers crossed for Swansea against Liverpool. Really looking forward to that one especially!

• David The Yank

June 17, 2011 at 4:58 am

Gaffer, you have a whole season to wait!! Final game, May 13: Swansea v Liverpool!!

6. JAK

June 16, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Team: Wolves
    One of the new teams, like Les said for Newcastle, or one of the top four.

Other team: Arsenal
    Chelsea, Tottenham, or United

7. Sammy

June 16, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I have it on good authority that the first round of fixtures for the top 6 teams will be:
    Swansea vs Liverpool (what a game this will be)
    Chelsea vs Arsenal (Sunday 11 AM kickoff)
    Aston Villa vs Spurs
    Manchester United vs Norwich (United always get a promoted side early)
    Stoke vs Manchester City (last season’s FA Cup finalists)

If I’m wrong blame the octopussy 🙂 .

8. Les

June 16, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Team: Newcastle
    Opponent: One of the new Premier League teams like Swansea City. There will be a lot of excitement.

9. malcolm

June 16, 2011 at 7:58 pm

As a Liverpool fan I don’t want Liverpool to play any of the top teams until the 3rd weekend as I’ll be on vacation in Africa from the beginning of August till the 26th. So I’m praying that Liverpool will be drawn to play Norwich, Blackburn and Aston Villa for their first three games.

• David The Yank

June 17, 2011 at 4:59 am

I guess you’ll be recording the Arsenal match in week 2!

10. The Gaffer

June 16, 2011 at 7:57 pm

As for which club I’d like to see Swansea face in the opening match, let it be anyone where it’ll guarantee the Swans a chance to be on live TV in one of the biggest matches of the weekend on telly. It might be best to get one of the big guns out of the way on the opening weekend.

• David The Yank

June 17, 2011 at 5:01 am

Think you got your wish.

11. Harry

June 16, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I predict:
    Week 1: Chelsea vs Manchester United
    Week 3: Liverpool vs Manchester City
    Week 6: Super Sunday > Arsenal vs Liverpool and Manchester United vs Manchester City

12. MUFC77

June 16, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I’ll have City for an easy 3 points please.

“Not arrogant, just better”

• The Gaffer

June 16, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Which City is that? Stoke City, Norwich City, Swansea City or Manchester City? 😉

• MUFC77

June 16, 2011 at 8:09 pm

You got me there Gaffer. I’ll give you a clue its the little club who’s fans have the inferiority complex and are somewhat predictable, any guesses?

• The Gaffer

June 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Cardiff City? 😉

— That coming from a Swansea supporter (me).

13. BA14

June 16, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Everton, they are notorious slow starters.

14. Brayan

June 16, 2011 at 7:16 pm

My favourite team is Chelsea and on the first game is would like them to face Manchester United or Liverpool!!!
    I bet Chelsea will win IF they play against either team.

15. Stacy Richardson

June 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm

“Which EPL Club Do You Want To Face on Opening Day of the 2011-12 Season?”

I really think I would have no chance against any of them.

• MUFCforlife

June 16, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Manchester United
      Would love to get vengeance against Everton after last year’s early disappointment.