Are you ready for some SOCCER? Tonight is the debut of Soccer Night in America, which this week means Friday. Portland and Philadelphia will kick off around 10:30 PM ET. That plus an 11 PM kickoff in the #LAvNY match means East Coast soccer fans will have a few late nights (as West Coast fans roll their eyes). If anyone has any good Twitter hash tags for tonight’s Fox Soccer unveiling, share them in the comments section below.
And now a roundup of the week’s news:
- DC United legend Jaime Moreno has taken a position as head coach of the team’s U-23 squad. This team is the bridge between the youth team and the reserve team. Best of luck to Jamie!
- MLS Soccer’s Jonah Freedman writes a compelling article on the need for a return of Ray Hudson. A must read.
- Hans Backe has said he will release Dwayne De Rosario to play in this summer’s Gold Cup. Initially he had said he wouldn’t release the midfielder because DeRo had not indicated he wanted to play, but that had contradicted a report from Team Canada.
- David Ferreira successfully had surgery on his broken ankle, and the team is still not releasing a timetable for his return. Best wishes to him as he heals.
- Thomas Rongen has been let go as head coach of the U.S. U-20 team. Last we saw them, the team was beaten by Guatemala and had lost their chance to advance to the U-20 World Cup. Tab Ramos will guide the team during their next tournament in France, but has not been given the title of interim coach.
- Bren Latham over at ESPN writes about the struggles of Gale Agbossoumonde to cement a spot on Bob Bradley’s team, as well as breaks down some of his soccer weaknesses. ESPN Insider status required.
- And finally, for those who enjoy scandal and intrigue, Grant Wahl details his failed attempt to run for the top job at FIFA. An excellent read.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Rangers on US TV
- Where to find Inter vs. Barcelona on US TV
- Where to find Frankfurt vs. Spurs on US TV
- Thomas Partey’s health is necessary for Arsenal and Ghana
- Vinícius and Foden should be in the ‘best young talent’ talk
- US Soccer releases report detailing abusive behavior in NWSL
- Book review of ‘How to Win the World Cup’ by Chris Evans
- Manchester United defeat highlights Ten Hag’s need for rotation
- 5 must-see Champions League games in matchday three
- Where to find Leicester City vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV