Connect with us

Eric Cantona

Eric Cantona Appointed Director of Soccer at The New York Cosmos

eric-cantona

The King is back. Long live the King.

Yes, Eric Cantona, one of the greatest legends of the Premier League, has returned to the world of football after it was announced today that he’ll be the director of football, achh I mean soccer, at The New York Cosmos. It’s a safe bet that the Cosmos will become the 20th team in Major League Soccer in 2013.

“I am very honored to join the legendary club New York Cosmos,” said Cantona. “It’s a big project, a wonderful project. The Cosmos are very strong, beautifully made, with a great past. It’s kind of a mix between football and art. I will do everything that I can to help us first find our way to regain the #1 position in the United States, and then for us to become one of the best clubs in the world over the coming years.”

Cantona has been credited with making a substantial contribution during his time at Manchester United (1992-1997), which included four Premier League titles(1993, 1994, 1996, 1997).

Throughout Cantona’s 14 years as a professional, he played in France for Auxerre, Marseille, Bordeaux, Montpellier and Nimes. He later went to England to play one season for Leeds United – winning a Championship during the 1991-1992 season – before joining Manchester United, where he would spend the rest of his career until retiring in 1997.

“Three years ago, when I first had the idea of reviving The New York Cosmos, I couldn’t have dreamt that we’d be able to attract an icon the likes of Eric Cantona,” says Paul Kemsley, Chairman of The New York Cosmos. “It’s a personal thrill for me, as he was one of my heroes during the 1990’s and is a further endorsement to the tremendous global attraction and power that The New York Cosmos carries. Our name already resonates throughout the world and so will our football team.”

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
16 Comments

16 Comments

1. Josh

January 20, 2011 at 11:37 am

While all the fanfare and PR moves are nice for the Cosmos, I think the most important thing they are doing (for the long term success) is the creation and development of their youth two youtth teams.

• Josh

January 20, 2011 at 11:38 am

excuse me that should read development of their two youth teams.

2. brn442

January 20, 2011 at 10:20 am

I have this feeling there is a large possibility they may end up sharing The Red Bulls Arena – at least in the beginning – bummer.

3. CTBlues

January 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Maybe they can build the stadium where the Jets/NY wanted to build the Olympic stadium on the west side next to the Javits Center, but if not I hope its in Brooklyn.

4. anthony wills

January 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Is he going to be assigning kung-fu lessons? Or poetry….. “when the seagulls….” and all that

• jose

January 19, 2011 at 2:24 pm

lmfao

• Bill Turianski

January 20, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Yeah, Cosmos should be working on a shoulder patch-type logo that depicts seagulls following a trawler, in tasteful green/yellow/blue. Maybe with extra meaningless gold stars above it, like in Man City’s crest. That would move the shirts at their shop.

5. King Eric

January 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Long live King Eric! Oooo Ahhhh Cantonaaa…

6. brn442

January 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Ha – Gaffer, I too thought about mentioning it but I (wrongly) suspected you would say it has nothing to do with the epl or something.

As someone who lives in NY, I am excited as it is yet another sign of the great phoenix – The Cosmos – are coming to back to life. The Red Bulls are a New Jersey team as far as I’m concerned – wonderful stadium but it doesn’t capture the spirit of New York City. I can’t wait for the Cosmos to do so.

• The Gaffer

January 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm

But where will the Cosmos play? That’s the million dollar question. Any insight?

• brn442

January 19, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Well it is indeed the (multi) million dollar question. Building a stadium within the confines of NYC, is near impossible, economics aside – the politics are tedious. And you think London is bad, hence the reason the Jets/Giants and Bulls all play in New Jersey.

It will not be in Manhattan but there is hope that maybe Queens or Brooklyn may be accomodating.

• Aimee

January 19, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I hope it ends up in Brooklyn!!

• Dave C

January 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Queens Queens Queens!

7. Chicowildcat

January 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm

If you get a chance watch the Pele tribute on the Cosmos website…it’s really nicely done.

8. jose

January 19, 2011 at 12:40 pm

gaffer i just mentioned this to you on your last post on tottenham. great minds think alike.