Speculation over the future of Wayne Rooney is beginning to reach fever pitch. The Gaffer has already given us his opinion on the issue which is dividing football fans. Who is in the wrong? Sir Alex Ferguson or Wayne Rooney?
If I was writing this article earlier on this year, then I can guarantee the news would have caused great shock and disappointment for United fans, however with Rooney’s shocking form of late, I highly doubt whether the announcement will cause such a stir.
Ever since picking up an ankle injury during United’s Champions League clash with Bayern Munich, everything has gone wrong for Rooney. Whether it has been his private life, a continuing niggling injury or his general form, nothing has been right in the world of the former Everton man. Now it appears his relationship with Sir Alex Ferguson has broke down, which unfortunately could bring even darker times for the forward.
Rooney should know that nobody takes on Ferguson and wins, it just doesn’t happen. If Rooney is turning down a new contract in a bid to hold out for more money, then Ferguson won’t crack. The message has always been from the Scott that no one player is bigger than the club; surely Rooney is aware that this applies to him too.
If he doesn’t Rooney will be heading for the exit, it is as simple as that. While a departure may give him his pay day, in the long term he will only regret leaving United. Whether he moves to a big European club or a makes a shock move to Manchester City, Rooney will only look back at his time at United with regret. Nobody moves on from Old Trafford to better things.
The most successful big name departure from Manchester United in recent years was David Beckham, and even he will admit he should have made more out of his time with the Red Devils, I seriously hope Beckham, a close friend of Rooney, is encouraging Rooney to back down and stay put.
I write this is as a football fan in general who wants to see Rooney make the most out of his talent. While things aren’t going well for him at the moment they will do soon. In the long term there is no better club to get the best out of Rooney and for that reason he should back down and give way to Ferguson before he is shown the exit door.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family