Eighteen minutes in to their Champions League debut and Tottenham fans could have been forgiven for thinking life in the planets elite club competition was easy. 2-0 up and pressing for a third against a beleaguered Werder Bremen side, Spurs seemed to be adjusting to life amongst Europes top clubs in fine style.
But unfortunately things began to go wrong for Harry Redknapp’s side and conceding a goal just before the break proved to be costly as Bremen fought back to claim a deserved point. It was disappointing for Redknapp but at full-time he was probably relieved to have escaped Germany with just a point.
It was rude awakening for Redknapp and a harsh lesson was learnt. In the Champions League you need to make the most of spells when you are dominating the game. Tottenham should have been out of sight by the time Bremen got their first goal, but they weren’t and in the second half they were made to pay for not killing the game off.
Against the quality you face in the Champions League you need to be clinical because if you give one chance away you are often cruelly punished, although I suppose if you had offered Spurs fans a point before the game – most would have taken it.
Redknapp himself was relatively satisfied with a draw. He told BBC Sport “I can’t be angry. That first half was as good as you could wish to see.
“Barcelona might be better, but that was as good as Tottenham can do. We passed the ball and opened them up time and time again. But then we conceded a bad goal which suddenly bought them back into the game.
“At 2-1 it gave them a massive lift and they got the early goal in the second half, but overall it was an excellent performance. “
Redknapp’s assessment summed up the game for Spurs, and I now expect them to work harder at making the most of the good spells they will have. Generally though I feel the point will prove a good base for the White Hart Lane club to go on make it through to the knockout stages, which I feel they will manage to do thanks to some positive results in their crucial home Champions League games.
What do you think? Was a point a good enough for Spurs tonight? Will they make it to the knockout stages? Was that the best that Redknapp’s side can play?
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family