Blackpool Fall, Other EPL Teams Survive In Carling Cup’s Second Round


Round 2 of the Carling Cup kicked off today and several EPL teams were in action. Blackpool were dumped out courtesy of MK Dons while eight EPL squads advanced to the third round. Here’s a recap of Tuesday’s Cup action.

MK Dons 4, Blackpool 3

A 110th minute goal by Lewis Guy gave League One side MK Dons an upset victory over Blackpool.

Sam Baldock put the hosts ahead in just the first minute. Brett Ormerod eqaulized for the Tangerines, who were without manager Ian Holloway, seven minutes after half time but MK Dons were up by two just five minutes later courtesy of a pair of goals from Jermaine Easter. Ludovic Sylvestre scored for Blackpool just a minute later to cap an eventful six minutes which saw four goals.

Blackpool were even after Charlie Adam’s penalty kick in the 82nd minute but Guy’s late winner secured advancement for MK Dons. It’s a disapointing result for Blackpool, who were looking to rebound after a 6-0 loss to Arsenal over the weekend.

Blackburn 3, Norwich 1

Senegalese international Mame Biram Diouf celebrated his first start for Blackburn with a hat trick against Championship side Norwich City.

Diouf, on a season-long loan from Manchester United, scored the opener on the half-hour mark with a header off of Christopher Samba’s flick on. Blackburn continued to dominate the game but couldn’t find an insurance goal until Diouf’s 80th-minute rebound put the game beyond doubt. The 22-year-old completed his hat trick four minutes later with a point-blank header. Berthal Askou’s ruined Blackburn’s clean sheet in the 90th minute but it served as little more than a consolation.

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2, Southend United 1

A last-gasp winner deep into extra time by Richard Stearman saved Wolves an embarrassing defeat to League Two side Southend United.

Nenad Milijas put the hosts ahead in the 27th minute with a penalty kick after Sam Winnall was taken down inside the box. Wolves looked to be on cruise control before the Shrimpers equalized in the 80th minute. Craig Easton’s low header beat Wayne Hennessey to force extra time.

After nearly 30 minutes of extra time Stearman’s managed to direct Ronald Zubar’s cross across the line to give Wolves the victory.

Stoke City 2, Shrewsbury Town 1

Two first-half goals from Jon Walters and Tuncay Sanli secured Stoke City a third-round birth in the Carling Cup.

Walter’s goal, his first ever for Stoke, came in the 26th minute when his glancing header beat Shrewsbury keeper Chris Neal. Sanli’s header 11 minutes later put the game out of reach for the League Two side before half time.

Pages 1 2 3

One Response

  1. Raatzie August 25, 2010

Leave a Reply

Translate »