Everyone knows when you travel up to Toronto, Ontario, Canada you will have a tough time earning any form of points against this Toronto FC side at their fortress called BMO Field. The challenge for the Red Bulls was to try and get at least a point against Canada’s top Division I side. Well within the first half it would be one man to take them down and that is Mexican Captain Rafa Marquez.
35th minute and New York is attacking. A nice quick pass from Tony Tchani and from 30yds away, a fantastic strike bent & screamed for the upper ninety inside the near post that quieted the Toronto faithful. Six minutes later on the near side of the field, Marquez bent a solid free kick into the area. Toronto defenders covered the ball very well, but unfortunately for Joseph Nane the ball deflected off his left leg and past his keeper Stefan Frei for the own goal.
More problems for Toronto FC as they went down to ten men in the 60th minute as Dane Richards crossed the ball in the middle of the field towards Thierry Henry. Nana Attakora tried to head the cross away, but got his left hand on the ball and Referee Jair Marrufo had no choice but to call a penalty & give Attakora a straight red card. Juan Pablo Angel took the spot kick and ripped it in for his 12th of the season.
But the easiest goal that was ever scored in this match was by former TFC player Carl Robinson. A 77th minute tally on a cross from the far side by Chris Albright and Frei would parry it away towards his right, but what he didn’t expect was Robinson being there and a quick header into an open goal that made it four to one RBNY & what class from the Welshman as he choose to keep quiet and show respect to his former side.
Toronto would pull one back in the 49th minute from a goal by Dwayne DeRosario as it looked like Bouna Coundoul had the play covered, but on a tight angle DeRosario was able to slip the ball underneath and pulled one back. But afterwards it was strong defense from New York as they frustrated TFC to no end.
The question for today’s game would be the fitness issues with both Henry and Marquez as the club sent the former French International striker to get a scan on his calves as they have tightened up during the match against the Galaxy, thankfully the results were negative and Henry admitted blame for not training between the end of France’s World Cup towards when he was signed.
For the first time in seventeen home matches that dates back to last season and includes the two goals to one victory against Cruz Azul on Tuesday in the CONCACAF Champions League, Toronto FC’s seventeen match home winning streak has been broken. You could see that without Julian DeGuzman on the field for TFC they were struggling a bit.
For the Red Bulls they earned their tenth win of the season and will come home against the San Jose Earthquakes. For Toronto FC in three days will play their second CONCACAF Champions League Group Match on the road in Panama against Arabe Unido.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family