Harry Redknapp is known as a bit of a wheeler dealer, scouring the football bargain bins for days. He is so good at finding bargains he takes half of January off to play the Wii with son Jamie. It is also reported Redknapp once sold ice to Eskimos, but this hasn’t been confirmed but Mr. Redknapp’s representatives. But after a plethora of successful transfer coups, who are the top 5 Harry Redknapp transfer dealings?
5. Lassana Diarra
Only with Portsmouth for a short period but was instrumental in the famous F.A. Cup win, after indifferent spells at Chelsea then Arsenal, the £2 million signing dominated the midfield before earning himself a £20m move to Real Madrid. For a profit like that Harry has to be commended. He is now a regular with France and is integral to Real Madrid, but lest we not forget, he was well on the way to becoming a journeyman footballer before Harry gave him his chance at the south coast club.
4. Niko Kranjcar
Harry paid £3 million for the Croatian twice, once for Portsmouth and once for Tottenham. He was key in Portsmouth’s 2008 F.A. Cup win and an immense creative force for Pompey during his time there. His main traits are his vision, close control, range of passing, set piece prowess and his superb technique. Harry then pounced again and Niko was brought in to replace the injured Luca Modric at Spurs, he could prove to be the signing of the season at a mere £2.5 million.
3. Arjan de Zeeuw
Signed for Portsmouth on a free transfer in 2002 from Wigan, the centre-back helped the club to promotion, won the club’s Player of the Year award in their maiden Premier League season and was eventually appointed captain for his rock-solid performances. De Zeeuw is considered by many to be an excellent example of professionalism in the modern game. He refused to retaliate after Bolton’s El Hadji Diouf spat in his face during a match at the Reebok Stadium in November 2004. He also received praise in 2005 from UK Prime Minister Tony Blair. A bargain and wonderful professional.
2. David James
Another signing for Portsmouth, he cost £1.2m from Manchester City, the England goalkeeper’s impact was immense on the south coast club, he has become even more important given the its turbulence, Removed the tag ‘Calamity James’ from our repertoire, and instead replaced it with a reputation for earning Pompey many a valuable points with his athletic saves and command of his penalty area.
1. Paolo Di Canio
He signed for West Ham in January 1999 for just £1.7m from Sheffield Wednesday and helped the Hammers to a 5th-place finish, which qualified them for the following season’s UEFA Cup. His goals, his performances and his attitude enthralled the Upton Park faithful for four years. A gift signed, sealed and delivered by Mr. Harry Redknapp.
Who do think are the best signings Harry Redknapp has made in his career? Do you agree with the top five? Let us know by leaving a comment below.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- French minister apologises for Champions League chaos
- Where to find Corinthians vs. Boca Juniors on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- LAFC confirms 12-month Bale deal with options through 2024
- Barcelona unveils 2022/23 away kit to honor Olympics anniversary
- Favre new Nice coach as Galtier in PSG talks
- Gabriel Jesus signing helps Mikel Arteta’s aims at Arsenal
- Turkish Süper Lig rights renewed by beIN SPORTS
- Spain without injured Hermoso for Euro 2022
- Cech joins list of Chelsea departures