This weekend every single MLS, USL or WPS match had meaning. Americans were also playing in meaningful matches abroad whether in the Mexican or English Football League playoffs, fighting relegation in Germany, chasing a title in Scotland and Belgium or even an important regular season match in Scandinavia.We even had PDL matches serve as qualifiers for the US Open Cup and the USASA qualifiers and the USSF’s Youth Development Academy spring showcase in Sarasota Florida.
The one place in the footballing world strangely devoid of important matches and results was in the Barclays Premier League, the preferred football league of many American fans some of whom are simply brainwashed by elements of the media and others who don’t really appreciate the game. Only one Premier League result meant anything this past weekend, and that was Aston Villa’s 1-0 win over Newcastle. The other matches, unlike the the games played on all levels here in the United States were essentially exhibition matches with little importance.
- We didn’t get to see much of Marco Vidal for Indios in the first leg of the semifinals with Pachuca. Blamed for Christian Gimenez’s initial goal, Vidal was replaced at halftime. Jose Torres had a very lively and effective game for Pachuca supplementing the attack well and moving from left to center midfield seamlessly during play.
- The second leg was amazing, but Indios chances to continue their Cinderella run but couldn’t close out the match when they had a chance.
- I wish FSC would mix up their USL telecasts a little more. We’ve seen Cleveland City three times now while still having seen the Battery nationally.
- John Cuncliffe looked reborn for the Railhawks in Cleveland. Last week against Miami he did not even suit up.
- Michael Bradley will be in the Bundesliga for at least one more season as Gladbach avoided the drop on the last day.
- Steve Goff of the Washington Post is reporting that San Jose is looking to already dump Bobby Convey. What a shock! Convey is no more mature as a person from what I am told than he was when he entered MLS at 16 years of age, over nine years ago.
- The Battery’s hot start has put Tyler Hemming back on the Canadian National Team radar. He’s been called in for the pre Gold Cup friendly in Larnaca against Cyprus. Problem is USL like MLS does not adhere to the international calendar and the Battery will lose Hemming for at least a week maybe more.
- RFK Stadium saw Josh Wicks make his case to be United’s starting goalkeeper.
- Cat Whitehill seems to assumed the leadership role of the Washington Freedom in Abby Wambach’s absence.
- Jack Jewsbury is playing incredibly well an an attacking midfielder for the Wizards. Given the difficulty the US team has had with linkup play away from home, could Jewsbury be an option this summer for the Nats?
- Listeners to my CSRN show will recall how much I liked Colin Clarke of the Rapids the last few seasons. Again, Clarke is playing at a very high level and deserves a serious look from Bob Bradley because right now the left side of US formation is a mess.
- The Minnesota Thunder and Miami FC played an entertaining game despite the nill nill scoreline. USL-1 has caught up with Diego Serna whose last goal was from the spot in the second match of the season. Serna looks largely outclassed at this level not making timely runs and constantly diving.
- The Galaxy are now undefeated in eight games. Bruce Arena has taken a completely outclassed squad and achieved results. Sadly, much of it has been achieved by playing anti-football. The Galaxy are still 2-3 years away from moving beyond the stench created by Alexi Lalas’ tenure and while Arena is being faulted by some for his tactics, what else is he supposed to do? Send a team out to play attractively and be beat 3-0 every night like Ruud Gullit’s team was towards the end of his tenure?
- St Louis Atheltica, terrible the first two weeks of the WPS season are now undefeated in four and gave a good accounting of themselves in Bridgeview on Saturday night.
- Kasey Keller could very well still be the second best American born goal keeper behind Brad Friedel. I know Tim Howard is playing well for Everton but he plays behind a solid backline and has not had to make the stop Keller did at Gladbach two years ago, Fulham last season and this year with the Sounders.
- Chris Rolfe continues to progress as a player and is versatile in every role thrown at him by Dave Sarachan, Juan Carlos Osorio and now Dennis Hamlet.
- The LA Sol have Marta, but they also have a well organized team that looks like they have played together for years.
- Martin Rennie’s Carolina Railhawks sit atop the USL table and also have taken 9 points out of a possible 9 on this current road trip. Rennie’s success is no fluke. I’ve interviewed him a number of times as our readers and listeners know and have always come away remarkably impressed with his tactical skill and general knowledge of the game.
- Colin Clarke had to answer questions last week about his decision to play reserves in the CFU Championship Final. Now Clarke will be questioned as to why the Islanders continue to drop points at home with alarming regularity. Last year’s Commisioner’s Cup winners and CONCACAF semifinalists have already dropped eight points in just five home games.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Ronaldo blasts ‘lies’ over Man Utd future
- Where to find Sheffield United vs. Sunderland on US TV
- Where to find Boca Juniors vs. Rosario Central on US TV
- Where to find Dynamo Kyiv vs. Benfica on US TV
- Muscat shrugs off Iniesta threat as Asian Champions League returns
- USMNT World Cup kits real or fake? Combing through the clues
- Brighton sign Ecuador’s Estupinan from Villarreal
- PSV rescue Rangers draw as Obispo spares Benitez’s blushes in Champions League play-offs
- Ex-Man Utd star Giggs admits to lifelong infidelity in court testimony
- Our 6 way-too-early reactions to 2022/23 Premier League season