May 16 might have been a great day for Internazionale as they lifted their fourth consecutive Scudetto, but it was a sad day for world football as Luis Figo announced his retirement. He may be 36-years-old but he was still a big player for Inter this season and his contribution to the team will be missed next season.
He has joined Pavel Nedved in retiring this season and to be honest I can’t decide between the two which I’ll miss watching more. They’re both very different players but two who have really stood out to me, and probably everyone else, over the last decade or so.
Figo may be more recognised for his contribution to the Spanish league than the Serie A but his spell at Inter has been a good one. He is one of the few players to have played for both Barcelona and Real Madrid and was a favourite with both sets of fans, though the Barca fans did throw a piglet’s head at him during a Champions League semi-final between the two sides when playing for Real. Figo started his career with Sporting Lisbon in Portugal and because of his time there and his place in the Portuguese national team he is still regarded as a hero in his home country.
When the Portuguese wizard moved to Inter Milan it was thought to be the last move in his career and he wasn’t expected to continue for more than another year or so in Serie A. However, after joining Inter in 2005 he ended up making over 100 appearances for the Nerazzurri and became a firm favourite at the Giuseppe Meazza. Figo nearly moved to Italy before he joined Barcelona in 1995 but there was some dispute between Parma and Juventus and he ended up moving to the Catalan club instead.
The one thing Figo has missed out on is an international trophy. He was the leading figure in a ‘Golden Generation’ of Portuguese footballers that included Rui Costa and Joao Pinto and despite some decent displays in cup competitions they failed to lift any silverware. Though he did treat the world to some great skills and fantastic goals in his time with the national team where he notched up over 100 appearances.
Figo ended his illustrious career on a high with Inter by winning his fourth Scudetto with the team who are starting to dominate Italian football, at least for the time being anyway. He was named Portuguese footballer of the year an impressive six times in a row, won the Ballon D’Or in 2000 and FIFA World Player of the Year the year later. He also won four Spanish League titles, two at Barca and two at Real, as well as a Champions League winners medal in with Real Madrid. The world of football will miss Luis Figo, of that there is no question, but he gave us some fantastic memories and great goals long the way.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ViX+ reveals pricing details and soccer coverage plans
- Get a Paramount+ one month free trial for a limited time
- Who should host the World Cup Final in 2026?
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan