It’s quite common to hear supporters of Premier League teams who live in the United Kingdom complaining about kickoff times. You’ll often hear them moan about kickoff times being too late or too early, as they reminisce about the good old days of traditional 3pm Saturday start times.
The bottom line is that they’re spoiled. If they’re traveling from Newcastle to Portsmouth to watch an early afternoon kickoff, I sympathize. But if they have to “get up early” to watch matches on television, they’ve got nothing to complain about especially when you consider the kick off times for Premier League matches shown live on television around the world.
Here are the best and worst local kickoff times for Premier League matches on TV:
Worst kickoff times for Saturday 12:45pm GMT matches:
- It’s a toss up between the west coast of the United States with a 4:45am PT start time and New Zealand, which fans there endure a 1:45am local time kickoff. Runners up include a 12:45am kickoff time in Fiji, and an 11:45pm start in Sydney, Australia.
Best kickoff times for Saturday 12:45pm GMT matches:
- The early match on Saturday definitely favors Asia. The local times there are 6:15pm in India, 7:45pm in Thailand, 8:45pm in China and Singapore and 9:45pm in Japan.
Worst kickoff times for Saturday 3pm GMT matches:
- New Zealand residents have to wake up at 4am the next day, while it’s 3am in Fiji, 2am in Sydney and midnight in Japan and Perth, Australia.
Best kickoff times for Saturday 3pm GMT matches:
- Kickoff times in Moscow and Saudi Arabia are 6pm local time, 7pm in Iran, 8pm in Pakistan and 9:30pm in India.
Worst kickoff times for Saturday 5:30pm GMT matches:
- Kick off times happen in the middle of the night of the next day for Asia. It’s 2:30am for Japan. And it’s 1:30am for China and Malaysia, and 4:30am for Sydney, Australia.
Best kickoff times for Saturday 5:30pm GMT matches:
- Residents in Finland, Romania, Turkey, Egypt, South Africa and Zimbabwe enjoy 7:30pm kick off times.
Worst kickoff times for Sunday 11am GMT matches:
- The local time in Japan and Perth, Australia is 1am the next day, 3am in Sydney, 4am in Fiji and 5am in New Zealand.
Best kickoff times for Sunday 11am GMT matches:
- Residents of Moscow and Saudi Arabia enjoy a 7pm kickoff, while it’s 8pm in Iran, and 9pm in Pakistan.
The time zone that is the worst to watch Premier League matches is New Zealand. The best it gets for them is the 5:30pm GMT kickoff which begins at 6:30am local time. Strewth!
What are the kickoff times like for you in your part of the world, and how do you adjust? Is your DVR your best friend? Or do you wake up in the middle of the night to watch your favorite club play? Click the comments link below and share your stories.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco
- Netherlands looks to snap World Cup dud at Qatar 2022
- Lukaku expected in Milan ‘this evening’ ahead of Inter return: CEO
- French minister apologises for Champions League chaos
- Where to find Corinthians vs. Boca Juniors on US TV