Sky Sports reported that the president of the Spanish football federation, Angel Maria Villar confirmed that the country is ready to go take the next step and host the World Cup yet once again.
According to reports, they have revealed that a possible collaboration with their Iberian neighbors is in the works.
“We need to present a strong, consistent and winning bid for the 2018 World Cup. Personally, I think it should be with Portugal,” said Villar in an interview given early on Tuesday.
Other candidates in the running to host the 2018 World Cup include Mexico, the United States, England, Russia, Qatar, China, Australia, Japan and a combined Holland-Belgium bid. They are hoping that their success at Euro 2008, a tournament which ended their 44-year wait for an international trophy, will help to convince FIFA that they are a suitable candidate to stage the showpiece occasion in 10 years’ time.
Spain is trying to host the tournament for the second time in their history as they have previously hosted the event in 1982, when they fell at the second round stage.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season