In an interview with the BBC, FIFA President Sepp Blatter has today revealed that FIFA will never accept the Premier League’s proposal to play a round of games overseas.
The news will come as a damning blow to the Premier League’s hopes of playing matches overseas beginning as early as the 2010/2011 season. In another blow, FIFA says that the intentions of the Premier League to play matches overseas could put England’s 2018 World Cup bid in jeopardy. This means that it’s unlikely that the Football Association (FA) will risk championing the Premier League’s Game 39 proposal.
The Premier League now finds itself in a corner. It can either bury the idea, try to appeal via the Football Association (very doubtful) or decide to form a breakaway league that would risk being banned by FIFA and other football associations around the world.
Very few, if any, countries would support playing these matches overseas without FIFA’s approval. The United States Soccer Federation has already stated that it would need FIFA to sanction the proposal before it would consider allowing matches to be played stateside.
Given the power that FIFA holds on the international game around the world, I don’t foresee the Premier League moving forward with the proposal unless it would have the support of other top football clubs around the world to form a breakaway world league.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Newcastle vs. Arsenal on US TV
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week
- Suarez bids Atletico farewell as Sevilla qualify for Champions League
- Sevilla draw with Atletico to qualify for Champions League
- Orlando Pirates reach CAF Cup final despite shock home defeat
- What is the best soccer game you have watched?