A big day of FA Cup action and the team I’ve been following for this round, League Two strugglers Bury, pulled off a big upset by knocking out Championship side Norwich City with a 2-1 win in their 3rd round replay at Gigg Lane. The win sets up a fourth round match away at Southampton (another Championship club) for The Shakers.
Bury does have some interesting history in the FA Cup tournament. They last won the FA Cup back in 1903 (also won it in 1900) and were actually thrown out of the FA Cup in 2006 for fielding an ineligible player (Stephen Turnbull — who was a loan signing from Hartlepool) in their 3-1 second-round replay win over Chester City. The win over Norwich will help erase the memories of that embarrassment and they’ll be looking to score another upset in the next round.
Luton’s hopes of an upset were crushed by a Steven Gerrard hat-trick as Liverpool cruised to a 5-0 win. Luton are beset by financial problems and are currently in administration. They have sold two of their star players and let three others leave since they held Liverpool to a draw on January 6th. Midfielder David Edwards was sold to Wolves for £675,000 and defender Chris Coyne went to Colchester for £350,000. There may be some hope on the horizon as Luton have agreed on a takeover deal with a consortium led by English television personality Nick Owen but the deal has yet to be ratified by the Football League.
One other note from the game was that both sides formed a guard of honor before kick-off as Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher celebrated his 500th appearance for the club.
Tottenham held off Reading after an early Robbie Keane goal to setup a 4th round fixture against Manchester United.
All the scores from Tuesday’s replays:
Bury 2-1 Norwich
Millwall 2-1 Walsall
Liverpool 5-0 Luton
Reading 0-1 Tottenham
West Brom 2-2 Charlton (WBA win 4-3 on penalties)
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family