The draw to determine pairings for the first knockout round of the UEFA Champions League was held at UEFA headquarters in Nyon. Here are the matchups with my predicted winners highlighted.
Schalke v Porto
Roma v Real Madrid
Olympiacos v Chelsea
Liverpool v Internazionale
Celtic v Barcelona
Lyon v Man. United
Fenerbahçe v Sevilla
Arsenal v AC Milan
I had a hard time picking a winner in a couple of the match-ups such as Inter v Liverpool. My decision there was based largely on Liverpool’s inconsistency. Inter are currently have a number of players out due to injury but by the time this fixture rolls around they’ll have some bodies back as well as whoever they pick up during the transfer window.
I picked Arsenal to upset AC Milan as I think Arsenal’s young legs can cause the aging backline of Milan some problems. The real interesting battle will be in midfield as both teams are well stocked in that area. Cesc, Hleb, Rosicky, and Flamini against Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini and Seedorf. Should be some great technical football on display.
I think Manchester United should be able to overcome Lyon but it will not be a simple matter. Lyon have really come on strong after the slow start to their season. United have continued to find ways to win even when their offense has not been in top-gear.
Of the four Premier League teams, Chelsea were handed the “easiest” pairing as they drew Greek side Olympiacos. I don’t think Chelsea will approach the fixtures casually but I think they have more than enough quality to overwhelm Olympiacos.
I’ll write more about the match-ups as we get closer to the opening ties on February 19th and 20th.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Freiburg vs. Leipzig DFB-Pokal Final on TV
- Where to find Barcelona vs. Lyon Women’s Champions League on TV
- Where to find Rangers vs. Hearts Scottish Cup Final on US TV
- Where to find Sunderland vs. Wycombe on US TV
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League