In the song “Once In a Lifetime” by the Talking Heads, the words “same as it ever was” are repeated over and over. After watching another predictable weekend of Premier League football, albeit entertaining, the likelihood of a club cracking the four horse race seems as remote as ever.
What clubs like Tottenham Hotspur, Everton, Portsmouth and Blackburn Rovers lack is that killer instinct. That flash of brilliance than can turn a side of superstars playing ordinary football into a winning team. Think Nemanja Vidic popping up for another header to deliver a cruel blow to the Toffees. Think Emmanuel Adebayor and his wonder goal (the second of the day) against Spurs.
The depressing realization that even with more funds available to buy stronger teams, “The Other 16” are having a difficult time competing at the top level. Even when clubs from “The Other 16” do find players that can give the clubs the edge, massive clubs like Manchester United and Chelsea come calling trying to sign those players away from them. For example, Dimitar Berbatov continues to be on top of Man United’s shopping list and you imagine it’s only a matter of time before the Bulgarian is snapped up in either the January or August transfer windows.
Think back to Fulham a few seasons ago, and the same thing happened to Louis Saha who was knocking a flurry of goals into the net for Fulham before Man United went ahead and snapped up the striker.
With the season thus far, at least the level of play is closer and there aren’t as many one-sided matches. However, the season is still young and a few key injuries to clubs from “The Other 16” could demoralize their chances of even getting close to competing against the Big Four.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Hrustic, Rogic spearhead Australia squad for crunch World Cup playoff
- Deal Alert: Best streaming deals this Memorial Day Weekend
- Africa beckons for Royal after dramatic draw with Orlando Pirates
- Regret? Skupski prioritises French Open over Champions League ticket
- Klopp urges Liverpool to show Madrid who’s boss in Champions League final
- Ancelotti says Real Madrid can achieve ‘the maximum’ by winning Champions League
- Mancini thanks Chiellini before Italy send-off against Argentina
- How to watch UEFA Nations League on US TV and streaming
- Klopp shrugs off Mane speculation, but concerned over new Paris pitch
- ‘Things change’ – Ceferin warns Europe’s old elite before Champions League final