During the past few weeks, America is suddenly in vogue in regards to soccer. The latest development is that representatives from UEFA attended this year’s Super Bowl in Miami to see how they can take some of the American ideas and make them work for the UEFA Champions League final scheduled in Athens this May.
According to The Guardian newspaper, UEFA executives were particularly impressed by how the NFL handle the entertainment and spectator experience.
In the artlcle, UEFA’s marketing and media rights director Philippe Le Floc’h also discusses how much money the Champions League tournament brings in from marketing and their philosophy about how they give advertisers a better product at the end of the day.
In the past few weeks, Arsenal formed a partnership with MLS team Colorado Rapids, Liverpool was acquired by two American owners, and ESPN announced that Chelsea will be playing a friendly against LA Galaxy in Beckham’s debut.
At the end of the day, it’s all about money. UEFA representatives are looking to see how the NFL does business at the Super Bowl so they can make the Champions League Final more of a spectacle and find new ways to bring in revenue.
Now that Chelsea recently announced their plans for China, I wonder if their attention will turn back to America where they’re considering the launch of a US-only Chelsea web site to sell merchandise (to hear more about this, listen to the EPL Talk Podcast where we broke the news back in November).
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Huddersfield vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV
- Football fans allowed for China’s Covid-delayed kick-off
- Liverpool fans confident Reds will bounce back after Champions League setback
- Salah’s Egyptian fans share in his Champions League misery
- UEFA blames ‘fake tickets’ for Champions League final delay
- Courtois earns respect with heroics to thwart Liverpool in Champions League final
- Liverpool will ‘come again’ after anticlimactic end to stellar season
- ‘I can’t do much more’ to win Ballon d’Or – Benzema
- Families of Liverpool staff caught up in Champions League final chaos – Klopp