FRI, 2:30PM ET
HULL
SAT, 10AM ET
SWA
CRY

Gus Johnson and Ian Wright’s Commentary Has Turned FOX Soccer Into a Joke

Posted on by Guy Robert

ian wright gus johnson png Gus Johnson and Ian Wrights Commentary Has Turned FOX Soccer Into a Joke

If Gus Johnson and FOX Sports have paid any attention at all to the commentary on Gus’s play-by-play match calling on Twitter and EPL Talk, they should be deeply concerned. From initial outbursts of outrage, much of the commentary has shifted to mockery and humor. This is not a good sign.

It is one thing to be considered controversial (witness Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless), but quite another to be considered a fool. While Smith and Bayless are simply presenting opinions, Gus Johnson is supposedly presenting us with a factual running account of a live soccer match. There is a huge difference.

Johnson’s poor and mistimed outbursts have become a laughing stock. His knowledge of the world’s game is so obviously lacking that fans have given up complaining about it and instead have taken to mocking it. No broadcaster’s reputation can long sustain itself when the viewers consider him a joke. FOX Sports and Johnson would do well to remove him from the European theater of soccer. He simply isn’t cut out for it.

FOX Sports has a much more competent play-by-play man in John Strong. He calls an even match, emphasizing things where they actually need it. If he’s reading from a cheat sheet a la Gus, you certainly can’t tell. The side information he gives is delivered in an appropriate time, place and manner, unlike Gus who seems to be reading from “Point #37” at the weirdest moments. I am reminded of the person who posted a comment on EPL Talk from the last Champions League match who wondered when we would hear what the Slovenian ref did for a living. It was funny, but all too true – which was unfortunate, to say the least. Viewers should not be wondering what bit of inanity will next come out of the commentator’s mouth. The match is the focus, not the commentator.

If I were Johnson, as hard as it might be, I would demand that FOX Sports Co-President and COO Eric Shanks get me out of European soccer commentating, posthaste. He tried. It didn’t work. He simply doesn’t have the background or style necessary to pull it off. Far better that he leave with that thought than that he becomes the focus of constant mockery, derision and satire and ruin his reputation altogether.

Someone posted weeks ago that there is no such thing as bad publicity, but I disagree wholeheartedly. Bad publicity has ruined more businesses and people than you can count. Once word of mouth starts to drag you down due to poor product or service, there is no stopping it. It’s time for the executives at FOX Sports and Gus himself to recognize this.

I do not dislike Gus Johnson. I’m sure he and I could have a great time discussing sports over a few pints. However, we all need to be cognizant of our strengths and weaknesses. Gus’s skill set is just not cut out for European soccer and it will do him and FOX Sports no good to keep trying to ram it down the fans’ throats. God may forgive the continuation of this experiment, but the fans and viewers never will.

Editor’s note: While Johnson has been so bad, it’s been funny. However, Ian Wright’s work behind the mic has been equally poor. Wright is a decent pundit, but an awful commentator. The two things that jump out at me are one, why does Wright seem to repeat all his points over and over again? It’s as if he can’t think of anything else to say, and is trying to fill dead air. And two, and perhaps more importantly, is FOX Sports doing any type of post-match review with Johnson and Wright to analyze, critique and help improve their work? Judging by their commentaries, there appears to be very little to no improvement from game to game.

This entry was posted in FOX Soccer, Gus Johnson, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

94 Responses to Gus Johnson and Ian Wright’s Commentary Has Turned FOX Soccer Into a Joke

1. BA14 says:

Surprised it took so long to get the next Gus Johnson rant article out.

• Guy says:

I worked into the night for this one. ;-)

• Guy says:

I realize from your previous responses that you think this subject has been beaten to death. I understand that, but what are discontented fans supposed to do? Just accept the situation?

I tried to take another angle focusing not so much on Gus’s slip ups as on the marked change in commentary from the fans. It seems significant to me.

When fans switch from anger to mockery and making jokes I think there is a definite problem. A commentator can be seen as controversial and be a success, but few can overcome being seen as a buffoon…..and that is just where Gus is at, at this point.

Time for FOX to cut its losses on this one and move on…..perhaps with a competent, knowledgeable, American commentator like John Strong, who they already have in their stable. Or would that be expecting too much?

• smidgeridoo says:

The fact that you are writing these articles is amazing. I am retweeting the shit out of you. I hope you continue to echo our disappointment with the decision to go with Gus Johnson. Please keep doing it for as long as it takes until they hear our voices and make a change.

2. Pete says:

I’ve decided to watch online feeds when Johnson is broadcasting. I can’t listen to him scream. Couldn’t do it when he was broadcasting college basketball either.

It is funny that people keep writing and complaining about his commentating as it happens. But it’s not going to stop if you keep watching Fox.

• staggerdagger says:

I understand but also hate when people do this. “Turn something off if you don’t like it.” Part of the blog and the job here by people posting to the blog is to analyze what’s on the field and the product. It’s one thing to just whine and complain but this is an analysis that is written for an audience and sometimes also gets read by people on the networks.

In the US, the only legal way to get the game is via FOXSoccer, so it’s not like the majority of viewers know how or would want to get online to watch a stream.

3. Pete says:

Tyler/Neville were great yesterday. I don’t know why anyone would choose Johnson/Wright over them.

If you don’t know of any footy streams, ask around. There are some good ones.

4. M Owen says:

with this sort of negative artciels against Gus i am actually starting to feel sorry for the Guy.

Y’all should just get a room along with Gus Johnson ,just F$@K and get this tension over with lol :)

BAAAAAAAAA Firesssss, DEMBAAA BAAAAAAAAAAA

5. San Franciscan says:

To be honest here, I’m one that really was annoyed by him when he was commentating Man United’s matches, I was non-intersted in watching the FA cup and Champions League finals, but now, I really want to watch just for the comedy part of it.

Somewhat maybe Fox’s plan is working.

6. Dean Stell says:

Johnson/Wright is like Fox’s way of telling the EPL “F___ YOU!” for signing with NBC.

Seriously, I really don’t like Gus. He’s not getting any better. At this point, we should have seen some improvement and it just isn’t happening.

Wright actually makes a lot of good points, but makes them over and over and over and talks over the action. He’d be better sitting there and passing notes to whoever is actually talking.

And is that English that Wright is speaking? I know that accents vary, but generally in the US we won’t let someone with extremely strong accents do commentary on national TV.

7. Tayo says:

They were both awful yesterday, I remember Gus saying Torres joined chelsea for 70 Million Pounds. He also asked Ian Wright what ‘width’ meant. And Ian is no saint, I am disappointed at him more than Gus because he played the f**king game at the highest level and I expected more from him. I also remember him telling the viewers what a ‘nutmeg’ is…. Absolute joke. “IN THE AREA…….”

8. Jared says:

Could you name some streams? Ive never tried but planning to start.

• Pete says:

I was given these two beauties yesterday. Saved my life. My other stream was using the Fox Soccer stream:

cricfree(dot)tv or stream2watch(dot)me

• Frill Artist says:

Yes, like Pete said, cricfree(dot)tv or stream2watch(dot)me. I got a couple more if those ones don’t work. You can also search for LIVE Sky 1 feeds. I usually find them in HD and of better quality.

Don’t forget to install an adblocker if you’re using Chrome or Firefox and install anti-virus and you are good to go. :)

• staggerdagger says:

Google will actually help you find.

Type in “Team” and “Team” stream.

Most of the time you’ll find up on firstrow(dot)eu and vipbox(dot)tv

9. Smokey Bacon says:

I said yesterday, among other things, that we had reached the bottom of the Fox barrel. It was truly awful. I stuck up for Wright in the past because I respect his perspective as a former Arsenal legend. But he was just as bad as Gus yesterday. Only the two of them could take a poor game and make it worse. Time to hang up the microphones lads.

On the bright side, it was tremendous fun posting along with everyone else. It was comedy gold!

• Pete says:

The open thread was hilarious yesterday.

You’re right about Wrighty. He does a better job on the radio/podcast and writing for The Sun. But he’s just not a commentator.

10. Kevin says:

While Gus has been poor as he learns the sport on the fly, I am more embarrassed by the entire network more. Each time I watch, I feel like I have been transplanted back in time to ~1986. The broadcast quality itself is poor. On more than one occasion, I could easily hear a foreign language call in background as if both were being called from within a closet. The pregame and halftime looks to be shot by a camera on par with the one my mom used for my 8th grade graduation. Fox soccer has bigger problems than Gus.

• Paul says:

JP Dellacamera and Seamus Malin were better in 1986 :) (and JP is still better today on Sirius). I love Gus on NFL and basketball – he is not cut out for football.

• staggerdagger says:

I love Gus, too. He’s got some memorable moments calling basketball, college mainly. However, I think it’s time to put an end to this soccer experiment. Gus clearly needs learn the game/history more and spend some time hearing the people who do calls well work.

11. christian says:

I was watching the match at a pub and the sound was off so I was blissfully unaware of what was going on until this morning when I saw the highlight of Mata’s goal. So glad the pub had the sound on mute.

12. ehh says:

I’m fine waiting for Gus to sort it out. They should do it on matches that aren’t as popular, but I ‘get’ what Fox is trying to do and I actually think its smart.

However, the execution of their plan is awful. Gus needs a great wingman and Wright is a freaking joke. IMO, he’s worse than Gus because he has a background in the game and has watched matches on television for his entire life. There is no reason he should be paired with Gus. Gus needs a stud sitting next to him to teach him, not an amateur.

13. ruffneckc says:

I agree with most here. Gus and Wright were very poor. It’s almost better to just mute the volume. I’m so happy NBC has taken over the EPL, we’ll only have to listen to FOX’s drivel for CL and FA Cup matched next season.

14. He's Livid says:

Being a fair minded person, I really wanted to give Gus a chance to get it right and show improvement, but his lack of having any histotry at all to the Euro and British game is just too much to overcome at this point. You can’t learn on the job at this level, and it’s not fair to the paying customers who at times might come off as being overly nit pickety, but who take the whole football package experience, seriously.

15. Andy says:

“Ian, what do you mean by width?”

F&%%^ing moron.

Being led by a chippy prck in Ian Wright who thinks no-one in the Prem is fit to lace his boots. Cck when he was playing and 100x more of a Cck of a commentator.

FSC deserved to lose the Prem if this is their plan. I tuned into Talksport and turned them off, so awful.

16. In other news, FOX Sports 1′s nightly sports program “FOX Sports Live” (daily 8-11pm Pacific/11pm-2am Eastern) will be anchored by Jay Onrait (ON-right) and Dan O’Toole.

Onrait and O’Toole, along with “Producer Tim”, will move from The Sports Network (TSN) in Toronto to FOX Sports in Los Angeles.

Onrait and O’Toole currently anchor the 10pm Pacific/1am Eastern edition of “SportsCentre” on TSN (which is repeated on TSN2 on weekday mornings.)

Check out some of the work done by Onrait and O’Toole over the years, and you will get a sense of what Eric Shanks is thinking when he made the decision to hire them out of Toronto:

17. The American Voice of Soccer says:
  18. K Riz says:

Baaaaaaaa!!! Demba Baaaaaaaa!! – Cut shot: Wife jumps! “What’s wrong with that guy? That scared me.” —– Gus literally scared my wife in our own living room. Perhaps it was due to the fact the she was “In the area” of the television. Hehe… Gus gives me douchechills. Serious case of them. Wright sounds like he’s just at the local pub talking to the tv… “That’s the one right there…” – wait. Whut? The right what?? Pass? Threw-ball? Wtf are you talking about!? Haaa… Why not have Thom Brenamen call the FA Cup final? Him, Gus, and a dude off the street… Couldn’t really get worse than last night. I was embarrassed for my tv. Felt sorry for the it. Ha

19. Goatslookshifty says:

The pre/half/post game shows are equally awful too. Rob Stone’s annoying cadence and emphasis of words is grinding. Warren Barton and Wynalda sound like they’re spent and are ready to go on holiday. Wynalda and Stone’s smart-arsey remarks are condescending at the least…and why are the hell are they still trying to flog Fox Soccer Plus? Of course, ESPN’s Ian Darke constant referencing of American players is aggravating. Yes, we all know by now Clint Dempsey and Brad Friedel are American! I’ll leave my Gus Johnson/Ian Wright remarks unspoken but I can’t let him slide with his “English Premiereship” phrase. What the hell is that?

20. K Riz says:

This is the only voice that Fox could find to call matches for THE BEST SPORTING LEAGUE IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE:
    http://youtu.be/RDf-buZTnB8 and
    http://youtu.be/sgeqrYxu_YM – It’s literally insane when you think about it too often… that the man on those videos does play-by-play for the “English Premiership”. Hehehe… Fox, you guys are funny. You big jokesters. ——– One other thing: I hate it when American announcers say “Dah-veed” for David. Oh, and “Darby” for Derby. I want to punch myself in the face when Wynalda or another one of those dorks says it the European way. Stop!! – Hehehe! Fun topic(s) today. Exactly what I needed.

21. nickp says:

Gus johnson may be the worst soccer commentator ever Thank god the EPL will be on NBC next season

22. K says:

After more than two months into his new gigs, not only has Gus not improved, he’s actually regressed. He’s still unable to pronounce “Premier” as in Premier League correct, and asking Ian Wright what “Width” is was another low. If he genuinely doesn’t know what width is, it shows he is seriously lacking knowledge of the game. If it was his way of educating American fans who are just getting into the sport, it was a misguided effort.

Ian Wright was equally bad. I agree he’s a decent write/pundit but he is a terrible commentator. He was talking way too much, at times dominated Gus. Even if it was part of an effort to fill the gaps left by his partner, the duo was a terrible fit.

• The Gaffer says:

If I had to second guess FOX Sports, they’ll probably say that the reason Gus Johnson isn’t doing well is because Ian Wright is undermining him and that they need to find a different co-commentator.

At this rate, in his stage of his career, I don’t think any co-commentator can save Johnson.

• Disagree.

One way “Mr. Rise and Fire” can improve in a hurry is to call a lot of matches, on a daily basis, ON HIS OWN, preferably away from the spotlight, without a co-commentator, so that he can only rely on his spotter and no one else.

Gus, and only Gus, can force Gus to improve. No one else can. Not Eric Shanks, not the critics, not the hecklers, not the co-commentators.

23. K Riz says:

COMPLETELY UNRELATED POST:

*Who is the scariest looking player in the EPL*?

For me, my money rides on Dean Whitehead.

That dude looks like Jason *without* the mask. Just slaughtered an entire family. Drives to stadium. Takes mask off. Puts on Stoke uniform. Runs onto field.

His name does him zero amount of good as well. Just his name alone constantly makes me think of massive zits all over the place. Pop. Pop. Pop. *ghhhhh — shutters*

Eden Hazard’s “beard” comes in a close second.

Ha

Anyone else with any thoughts?

• K Riz says:

Kind of like this:

WARNING: Worst video in the history of mankind. Thanks to Daniel Tosh and his insane show I know have these images forever burned into my memory. OPEN AT OWN RISK. haa

• Guy says:

Well, despite the fact that you’re highjacking my thread, as a Stoke fan, I have to agree. Whitehead scares me the moment he steps on the pitch because I know a yellow card will be on its way before too long.

• K Riz says:

Guy,

Sorry for the highjacking… Ha – that dude scares me so bad that I just *had* to say something. Hehe – thxamigo

24. velija says:

Hahah im famous i was the one who said the bit about the referees occupation during the Barca Bayern game lol…but in all seriousness I 100% agree with the article but did want to say something, it feels like Fox knows that in terms of audio (and video TBH) they are putting out s**t during their games with Gus and Ian but it seems like they are more afraid of people recognizing they made a mistake if and when they do take them off the air. Almost like the child who knows they did something wrong and their parent figures it out yet the child still wont admit it with the evidence being there for everyone to see.

PS
    The bit about their video quality being bad, watch a game on beIN, every single match is full HD 1080p, I can put my face up to my 60 inch screen and not see pixels yet with FSC it seems like it is set at 720p as there is evident fuzziness and pixels visible as well.

• Guy says:

Thanks, velija. I loved your quote, couldn’t remember the source. It was perfect!

I agree with your further analysis. FOX is not about to admit a “mistake” at this point. Gus will finish the season as planned. Af

• Guy says:

Aaargh! After that it is anyone’s guess. At any rate, Gus will not be a factor in next season’s BPL broadcasts. Hallelujah! :-)

• velija says:

now he only gets to ruin the champions league :D

• Relax.

Gus will be too busy with College Football (on FOX and/or FOX Sports 1) during the autumn and too busy with College Basketball during the winter (on FOX Sports 1 and Big Ten Network) to be anywhere near the UEFA Champions League until the month of April.

Once the calendar turns to April, then watch out. “Mr. Rise and Fire” will be calling UEFA CL on FOX Sports 1 and FA Cup on FOX.

25. kyle says:

Jokes make you laugh. They’re supposed to be funny. Gus commentating is not a joke and there’s nothing funny about it. It’s maddening!

EPL Talk should interview Fox and find out why they’re doing this to us. Are they unaware of how bad Gus is? Is it because they have a long-term guaranteed contract with him so they have to use him no matter what? Fox needs to answer their critics.

• Guy says:

Boy, did you hit the nail on the head. My exact point about where the commentary on Gus is going. Your commentator is not supposed to be a comedy act, but that is just what Gus has become. Bad for everyone involved.

26. trickybrkn says:

My favorite was as the second half kicked off, Johnson declares… Manchester United in red.
    and then mentioned that the match was in Manchester ENGLAND at least 4 times during the broadcast.

And I like Ian Wright… I liked him as a player, I like him in the studio, but the 5 minutes about why it was bad that Ba arrived a bit early was just painful. Then when Johnson asked him to elaborate, I thought my head would explode. It is if Wright spends half his air time explaining the game to Johnson. Which just makes bad, horrible.

27. Smokey Bacon says:

I think I know what the problem is here. Here is the Chelsea team sheet from yesterday’s game prepared for Gus by Ian Wright.

1. Check

15. Width
    16. Got it away
    17. Swivel hips
    18. Haz-hard

It all makes sense now.

• jtm371 says:

sounds like a man who’s side did not get regulated.Louise is the best well done Smokey.

• Guy says:

jtm— Fiber is the key to being regular.

• jtm371 says:

Guy
          guilty as charged the term is relegated, to late ,senior moment whatever works.yes you are correct fiber is the key to being regular.i better stop for the night.

• Guy says:

The really sad thing, from my perspective, is that I didn’t even notice that the word was supposed to be “relegated”! :-D

• Guy says:

You are too good, Smokey. This makes all my late night work worthwhile!!

Of course, you have to realize that “late night” for me is anything after 7:00 p.m. ;-)

I am already looking forward to the next “Open Thread With Gus”. Who needs Special 1 TV? :-D

• K Riz says:

haaa

Great post

Got it away – lmao

28. Eric says:

Best tweet from yesterday deriding Johnson: “Put Gus and Timmy from South Park in one room, and let it fly….
    “BAAAAAAAAAA!”
    “TImmmmmmmyyy!”
    BAAAAAAAAAA!”
    “Timmmmmmmyy!”……

Beyond the ridicule, Johnson has shown no improvement in five months. What is to make us believe that he will improve either his style or his understanding of the game with practice? To become better, one practices; there is no evidence of such activity on Johnson’s part.

Oliver Tse Productions shows a disregard for the viewers equal to Fox. We see this in their idea that the viewers should provide an audience during practice of a mediocre product in hopes it will get better. BPL fans want quality, otherwise they would tune in for lesser leagues. With this approach, I doubt the quality of their offerings.

29. Frill Artist says:

Watching or subscribing to FOX won’t get Gus off the air so why the constant moaning?

Turn off the set or cancel your subscription. Simples.

30. Johnny says:

I had a very difficult time listening to the commentary from the “Gus and Ian show” yesterday, and it really took away from my enjoyment of the match. It would be nice if Fox took the comments to heart but I really doubt they will.

31. Mufc77 says:

I must have been banging my head against the wall at the time but did GJ really ask Ian Wright what he means by “width” on air?

I’m sorry but if he really asked that question out loud during a live broadcast then that alone should be grounds for his termination.

I’m ok with the fact he didn’t understand what Wright was referring to but for gods sake pass him a note or something and ask him to explain what he means by “width” but DON’T expose yourself to even more embarrassment by asking it out loud.

He had some funny lines during the game but my jaw dropped when he criticized wright on his commentating abilities on air.

32. nick says:

Best solution is to watch fox and listen to talk sport live app. There is a slight delay on the app, but if you have a dvr or TiVo it is quite easy to sync the commentary & the video. Also go make a cup of tea during half time. Wynalda, Stone & Barton are annoying.

• K says:

it was a good idea until i realized the commentary is almost a minute ahead of the TV pictures. if it was the other way round (tv faster than app) i would still hv been able to get around it with my DVR. but what about when the audio is ahead of the pictures?

33. JACK says:

wah…wahh…wahh…wahh!!! thats what this article sounds like to me. I dont watch football games because of commentators. Commentators are for people who knows nothing about the game and cannot separate the commentary from whats going on in the game.
    I could care less whether Gus johnson is doing the commentary to be honest….

• Guy says:

I don’t think anyone watches a football match because of the commentators, but good ones can add to your enjoyment of any sporting event. Bad ones, like Gus, can detract from it. It has nothing to do with one’s ability to separate the action from the commentary.

• K Riz says:

Jack, your post is way off. “I don’t watch football games because of commentators.” —— That quote hurts my brain. I don’t think *anyone* on planet earth watches football games “because of commentators”. You’re missing the point of the thread. When a commentator is as horrible as ol’ Gus then the viewing experience becomes tainted with having to listen to an idiot call the match. If you were 100% unaffected by the horrible commentary Gus and Ian spewed then you must not understand, know, follow, or enjoy the EPL. Gus’ commentary took a fat d*mp on the enjoyment of the game. It became about what that dork would say next… it took away from the beauty of the game. When you have a dude screaming at you when there is a simple threw-ball in the middle of the pitch then that completely drive you (wait – not you, but it sure as sh*t did me) crazy about the commentator, not the match. It was annoying. It was awful. It was simply not good. I would have rather listened to a spanish call of the game. I know zero spanish. Nothing could be worse than Gus and his mis-timed and misinformed blairing high-pitched comments. The Beautiful Game does not need a guy (who knows nothing about the game mind you) screaming at me at the wrong moments in the match and asking questions like “what do you mean by width?”. A joke it is/was and nothing more. Jack, aren’t you missing coverage of the NFL combine or something? Maybe Gus will be calling that as well. Ghhh.

34. Scrumper says:

I think Ian Wright could be a useful pundit with the right commentator controlling him. He reads the game totally from a striker’s prospective which is a bit different from most of the other pundits. And he’s really passionate and self effacing.

Look, Fox totally bungled their chance with the Premier League by subjecting us to a silly studio show of empty suits running around on astro turf repeating what the match commentators had said and jockeying to claim a cliché. Then they cap it all with the hilarious Gus Johnson who resembles a wind up doll mangling speech when his cord is pulled.

The other contributors (above) have it correct. When you go from being greeted with derision, to a laughing stock, as Johnson has, you are simply damaging your employer. The very fact that he’s still on air illustrates the contempt Fox has for all of us who tune in each week.

• Marc L says:

+1,000 to all of this. Especially the dingbat studio commentators incessantly trying to rip off the idiotic ESPN Sportscenter cliche/catch-phrase vibe.

• You meant “SportsCentre” (TSN), not “SportsCenter” (ESPN), which has become an endless parade of boring interchangable anchors who are only there to be traffic cops for pundits.

“SportsCentre” (TSN), on the other hand, is like what “SportsCenter” (ESPN) was 15-20 years ago.

In order to create the “anti-SportsCenter”, FOX has decided to hire from “SportsCentre”.

35. CPA1 says:

Ian please shut up. Actually turned the sound off for most of United v Chelsea. NBC save us.

36. JC says:

For starters can someone tell Gus that the guy’s name is Juan MA-TA. Not “MADDA”. Fox is a joke. I applaud him for giving it a shot, but at least learn how to pronounce the people’s names. Hardly too much to ask.

Aside: Ian Wright is dreadful. How Fox decided that these two would be a good pairing is head-scratching…

37. K Riz says:

Just found this video online. “Why Gus Johnson will be a good thing for Fox commentating on the 2018 World Cup”.

I want to superman kick that little broadcaster kid.

Another toolbox that knows nothing about football, but somehow actually gets to make a video for SB Nation in regards to said subject.

His “three reasons” are idiotic. Makes me cringe.

38. Rick says:

I sent FSC a suggestion. I’m sure they’ll continue their mistake and use Gus on their live broadcast of the FA Cup Final but they’re showing a replay later on Fox Soccer Channel and I asked them to use the Martin Tyler call (or whoever is calling the game) for that. I doubt they’ll take my suggestion. They’ll probably just keep poking sticks in the eyes of their customers.

39. Rick says:

Gus has actually startled me on several occasions. He knows nothing about the game and it usually takes him a few moments to comprehend what just happened. Then, just when I think I no longer need to brace for his scream, he figures out what happened and he yells something moronic and my heart skips a beat.

40. K Riz says:

Bleach Report also hits the nail on the head:

Hehe… Omg – thx for the hook-up on listening to talksport (for audio) and syncing up the Fox feed (video) of the FA Cup final.

But maybe, just maybe, I *might* have to listen to ol’ Gus destroy another call of a major football match. It’s great comedy.

“Ee-ya-nesta-a”!!! ha

• K Riz says:

Bleach.er. Forgot the “er” part. Haa

Wait. Let me do it in Gus Style:

“Bleaccchhhherrr”!!!!

There. All is well.

41. DW says:

Fox soccer is rubbish all round.

warren barton sounds like he hasnt done one bit of prep. He reads the team sheets like a crackhead tweaking out. He’s all over the place.

Rob The ameeeeeerriicccan!!! Stone.

Rob stone is a tool. Reminds me of a nosy, annoying neighbor like Flanders from the Simpsons .

Ian wright sounds like he’s trying to be a Yardie gangsta! But just comes across as a poorly educated, illiterate , narcissistic pr*ck.

Loved it when Gus Johnson introduced him as ” arsenals 2nd highest scorer” wrighty hated that! Ha ha

And as for Gus Johnson, hes just a joke all round. his rhythm is all wrong, he over accentuates at the wrong times (which is a problem if this is one of your key attributes is over accentuating and being over the top!

He fiiiiiiiires!
    Pk!
    Cristiano!

I could go on all day. Rip fox

42. George says:

What a disaster, Gus Johnson and his stuttering co-commentator Ian Wright.
    They alone are a reason to quit watching the EPL on Fox Soccer.
    I have been watching each EPL and FA Cup game on Fox Soccer and ESPN for the past 10 years, and the UK commentators are excellent, but this is ridiculous.

• Pete Q says:

I am not a fan of Gus Johnson’s commentary dating back to his college basketball days. He is the typical American announcer who feels he has to scream over large portions of the match.

But reading this New York Times article, I have to give the man some major credit. He’s working hard at this. He’s not just taking the money from Fox and walking into the booth “blind”. He’s taking pride in his work and trying to master it.

My problem is this experiment should have never happened in the first place.

There are numerous broadcasters who could have come in (with less preparation) and have done as good a job as Gus.

Fox got it in their head that they were going to teach everyone how to broadcast football in America.

Gus Johnson will not bring in American viewers to football (soccer). The same way Martin Tyler, Jon Champion, or Ian Darke don’t bring in viewers.

But for the most part, those commentators don’t distract from the event. In most cases, they enhance the broadcast with timely statements and in allowing the game to speak for itself.

The growth of soccer in the US has steadily grown as the matches are more readily available for everyone to see (TV and internet).

NBC seems to have the right attitude towards how it should be presented.

Unfortunately, we all will have to tolerate Fox’s decisions since they have the rights to Champions League and the 2018 World Cup.

43. Wongo1 says:

Jamie Treker has said that Gus does not get a “break” because we do not “listen” to what he says. Is Treker on drugs? We listen and that is why we hate Gus. Much like when I read Treker “articles” on football I hate them.

A commentator cannot merely spit out useless stats and call that good commentary, he also cannot just shout inappropriately and say hey I did great. Does he maul players names yes but that happens to all announcers, it is the completely lack of content that pisses me off to no end.

• The Gaffer says:

I used to respect Trecker’s writing, but he’s been brainwashed into believing that Johnson is better than he is. Johnson is improving.

• goatslookshifty says:

Is he improving or are you just getting used to him? When he said “It’s a foul” instead of the more appropriate ‘penalty’ made me think he didn’t actually know that a foul in the box would be a penalty. Also, someone please get video of his commentary during goals! I imagine papers flying everywhere and drinks spilling over when a goal is scored.

• Cantona says:

Trekker is an idiot.. he stated that because GUS doesnt have a British accent is why no one gives him a break. Its way beyond that.. He STILL DOES NOT KNOW THE RULES.. forget about learning names.. sit down with the FIFA rulebook. He never gave any opinion about any fouls.. he purposely stays away from it.. he simply hasnt a clue.. its just not in his DNA.. and it will never be..take the Dante penalty.. how long did it take for him to react? The soccer for dummies broadcast yesterday was an embarrassment for Fox.. they have reverted back to the teach the uninformed American attitude that ESPN had ten years ago..ESPN learned..evolved.. FOX devolved.

Cantona—

44. Captain says:

Gus was criticized when he called boxing on showtime. Major criticisms? 1-He yelled things like “he’s hurt”, when guys were not hurt. 2-He didn’t seem to have an understanding of any of the finer points of the sport. 3-There were times where he would insert background facts about the fighter that no one cared about or were out of place. 4-HE DIDN”T IMPROVE. When he finally decided to accept an offer moving away from CBS/Showtime, it was a great day for boxing fans.

But then he got moved to football and he is singlehandedly trying to kill the other sport I am extremely passionate about.