We can argue who the greatest footballer is, but who is the best soccer player you’ve ever seen in person?
Many European and South American clubs often make trips to the United States. Summer friendlies, which return to normalcy in 2022, allow major names to show up across the United States. For example, in 2022, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, Juventus and more have several games stateside.
If you plan on going to some of these games, great! You have the opportunity to see the world’s best as part of their club team.
Of course, that is not the only way to watch the best players in the sport. International friendlies and fixtures happen across the world. Depending on where you live, it is likely a game featuring major names came close to you.
Or, there is the ultimate for soccer fans. Traveling abroad, whether that be to Europe, South America, Asia, Africa or elsewhere in North America, opens the doors for opportunity. Not only do you have the chance to see different atmospheres, but it is easier to follow the schedule of the sport’s elite. In doing so, you can watch the best soccer player in person.
The best soccer player seen in person
Keeping that in mind, we want to know about the travels or experiences you recall. For some, this could date back to 1994 or before. The World Cup then featured Diego Maradona, albeit for a handful of games. Surely, some other readers and soccer fans watched a New York Cosmos match. Pelé, one of the undisputed greats in the game, represented the New York club for two years in the mid-1970s.
Perhaps the best player is Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo. Messi is a frequent player in the United States with friendlies or tournaments involving the Americas. Ronaldo may be somewhat more challenging given his nationality with Portugal.
Remember, it does not have to be one of these world beaters. For instance, the best player I had the privilege of watching live is Christian Pulisic. I watched him score a hat trick against Panama in CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying. Before then, it was Landon Donovan, who scored a hat trick in a friendly.
Use the comment section below to discuss who the greatest player you have seen in person is. Also, be sure to mention when and where you had the honor of watching them.
Photo credit: Getty Images
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- What it’s like watching the Premier League from Hawaii
- Ineos billionaire Ratcliffe ‘potential buyer’ of Man Utd
- Mendy rape accuser tells UK court she tried to fight off footballer
- Man Utd legend Giggs cites disciplinary record in assault trial
- Christian Pulisic’s ominous, but necessary, move to Man United
- Sevilla sign youngster Nianzou from Bayern
- Ronaldo cautioned by police after allegedly slapping phone from fan’s hand
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham
- Dubai airport gears up to handle World Cup supporters
- Ronaldo blasts ‘lies’ over Man Utd future