London (AFP) – Arsenal defender Kieran Tierney is expected to miss the rest of the season with a knee injury, dealing a blow to the club’s hopes of securing Champions League football for next season.
The Scotland international, 24, who sustained the problem in training last week and missed Monday’s 3-0 defeat at Crystal Palace, will go under the knife in the next few days.
“A specialist consultation took place on Tuesday, and as a result of further discussions with Kieran and our medical team, it has been decided that Kieran requires surgery to his (left) knee,” the club said in a statement.
“This procedure will take place in London in the forthcoming days.
“Kieran’s rehabilitation programme will start immediately after his surgery, at which stage a clearer understanding will be established on his recovery timescale. However, it is likely that Kieran will now miss the remainder of this season.”
Tierney’s injury means he is a doubt for Scotland’s rearranged World Cup play-off semi-final against Ukraine, scheduled to take place in June.
The Gunners are also assessing Thomas Partey’s fitness ahead of Saturday’s visit of Brighton after the Ghana international limped off at Selhurst Park with a right thigh injury.
Right-back Takehiro Tomiyasu is due to return to training in the middle of this month following a long lay-off with a calf problem.
Arsenal’s heavy defeat at Crystal Palace left them behind fourth-placed Tottenham on goal difference, but they have one game in hand over their London rivals.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dreams
- Chiellini says goodbye to Juve fans as last-gasp Lazio make Europa League
- Blackpool’s Daniels ends 32-year wait for gay UK male footballer to come out
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence
- Where to find Newcastle vs. Arsenal on US TV
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton