Paris (AFP) – Lionel Messi said on Thursday he needs more time to recover before playing again after contracting Covid-19 earlier this month.
Paris Saint-Germain star Messi, 34, tested positive while on holiday in his hometown of Rosario before flying back to the French capital on January 5.
The seven-time Ballon d’Or winner has missed two PSG matches while in self-isolation.
“As you know I had Covid and I wanted to thank you all for the messages I received,” Messi posted on Instagram.
“It has taken me longer than I thought to be OK but I’m almost recovered and I’m looking forward to getting back on the field.
“I’m training to get back to being at 100%, great challenges are coming this year and I hope we can see each other again,” he added.
Since testing negative last week he has trained alone at PSG’s headquarters.
According to ESPN Argentina the former Barcelona attacker will miss this weekend’s home Ligue 1 game against Brest.
Messi’s club team-mates including Angel Di Maria, Gianluigi Donnarumma and Julian Draxler have also tested positive for coronavirus since the Christmas break.
The Parisians host Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League last 16 tie on February 15.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso
- Barcelona VP says Messi return would be ‘possible financially’
- Brands hoping World Cup boosts Gen Z interest in soccer
- Hummel makes statement with World Cup kits for Denmark
- 3 reasons Arlington is not ideal host for 2026 World Cup final
- Richarlison racially abused in Brazil’s win over Tunisia
- Where to find Chelsea vs. West Ham on US TV
- USMNT staggers into World Cup following draw with Saudi Arabia
- 2026 World Cup Final will reportedly be in Arlington, Texas