Moscow (AFP) – Aleksandr Sobolev’s first-half double helped Spartak Moscow to a 2-1 home victory over Serie A leaders Napoli on Wednesday which moved the Russians top of their Europa League group.
All four teams can still progress from Group C and the winner of Leicester’s game against Legia Warsaw at the King Power Stadium on Thursday would replace Spartak at the summit.
After a fast start to the season, Napoli are now winless in three games in all competitions after taking just one point from their last two Serie A matches.
Russian international Sobolev gave Spartak, who lost 3-2 in Naples earlier in the campaign, the lead with a third-minute penalty before netting again before the half-hour mark.
Eljif Elmas pulled one back for the visitors in the second period, but Napoli could not find an equaliser.
Luciano Spalletti’s side slip below Spartak on head-to-head away goals.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season