Berlin (AFP) – South Korean attacking midfielder Jae-sung Lee has signed for Bundesliga side Mainz on a free transfer after narrowly missing promotion last season with ex-club Holstein Kiel.
The 28-year-old banged in 23 goals in 104 games over four years with second-tier side Kiel, who lost a two-legged play-off against Cologne last May to miss out on promotion to Germany’s top flight.
Nevertheless, Lee, who has played 53 times for South Korea, will play Bundesliga football next season having signed a three-year contract after “good” conversations with Mainz’s Danish head coach Bo Svensson.
“Here in Mainz, my dream of playing in the Bundesliga is coming true,” said Lee, a 2014 Asian Games gold medallist.
He hopes to make his Bundesliga debut when Mainz host last season’s runners-up RB Leipzig on August 15 during the first weekend of the 2021/22 campaign.
“Jae-sung was one of the best players in the second division,” said Svensson.
“He has a lot of heart and will give everything for our club.”
Lee, who also plays on the wing, joined Kiel in 2018 after four years with South Korean club Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors, winners of the 2016 Asian Champions League.
Having initially struggled last seaon, Mainz turned their fortunes around once Svensson took charge in January by winning six of their last 10 league games, including a shock 2-1 defeat of giants Bayern Munich.
“I followed Mainz’s great second-half of last season and now I want to help the team,” Lee added.
He joins Mainz with compatriot Dong-won Ji leaving to join South Korean club FC Seoul in the K-League.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find Denmark vs. France on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Manchester City on US TV
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG
- Arsenal set Women’s Super League attendance record
- Southgate, Kane claim England are nearly powerless over Qatar
- Premier League should be decreased to 18 teams, says David Dein
- Southgate holding England back from being world beaters
- Where to find Mexico vs. Peru on US TV
- Where to find Czech Republic vs. Portugal on US TV