Houston (AFP) – Sam Mewis scored the only goal as the United States maintained their remarkable unbeaten streak on Thursday with a 1-0 victory over Portugal in a women’s international friendly in Houston.
Mewis nodded in the winner on 76 minutes, heading home from close range after an inviting corner from Manchester United star Christen Press.
The US women almost doubled the lead moments later, but veteran striker Carli Lloyd was ruled offside after tucking away a rebound from Lindsey Horan’s free-kick.
Thursday’s victory stretched the reigning world champions’ unbeaten run to 40 games.
The American women have not been beaten in any fixture since suffering a friendly defeat to France in January 2019.
The US play Jamaica on Sunday before facing Nigeria on June 16 as they build towards next month’s Olympic Games in Tokyo, where they will be aiming to regain the crown lost at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro games.
The US complete their Olympic preparations next month with two games against Mexico before heading to Japan.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Sling Blue, Peacock and Paramount+ provide the best games for less
- Sling Blue to air over 50 Premier League games through year end
- Where to find Denmark vs. France on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Manchester City on US TV
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG
- Arsenal set Women’s Super League attendance record
- Southgate, Kane claim England are nearly powerless over Qatar
- Premier League should be decreased to 18 teams, says David Dein
- Southgate holding England back from being world beaters