Madrid (AFP) – Ronald Koeman has escaped the Barcelona axe with club president Joan Laporta announcing on Thursday the Dutchman is to continue as coach next season.
“We’ve decided to give continuity to a contract already in place,” Laporta confirmed after a meeting of the club’s directors.
Koeman’s confirmation comes after the Catalan press had hinted that winning round Lionel Messi as well as lifting the Copa del Rey and overseeing a year of transition may not have been enough for him to keep his job.
Laporta explained: “We think it’s the best for Barca and we are very happy to be able to announce today that Ronald Koeman is staying.”
He said “very frank and straight” conversations had taken place before committing to Koeman until the summer of 2022.
“This time for reflection was necessary… to see together what didn’t work at the end of last season”.
Koeman remains in the Camp Nou dugout after a “unanimous” vote despite Barca’s last 16 Champions League exit to Paris Saint-Germain and a disappointing end to the Liga title race.
Laporta praised Koeman’s “impeccable behaviour”.
“He showed what we already knew, that he is a true professional.
“I’m sure we are going to have a great season.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Mbappé and Neymar feud adds heat to PSG vs Lille clash
- Conte not expecting touchline ban after Tuchel clash
- Mendy rape accuser details alleged attack in locked room at his mansion
- Ben Brereton Díaz rumors signal ambitious signings from Nice
- Chelsea probe alleged racist abuse against Spurs forward Son
- Kobe forget domestic woes to advance in Asian Champions League
- World Cup ticket sales approach 2.5 million, organisers say
- Union Berlin book tells story of club in a changing city and country
- Wolves sign Nunes from Sporting Lisbon in club-record deal
- MLS Earthquakes name US assistant Gonzalez as coach