Paris (AFP) – Pol Lirola scored his first two goals for Marseille and hit an injury-time winner as Jorge Sampaoli’s side claimed a 3-2 home victory over Lorient in Ligue 1 on Saturday.
Nigerian striker Terem Moffi struck twice for the visitors but hobbled off with an injury before Lirola won the game in added time.
Moffi, his side’s top scorer following his October arrival from Belgian club Kortrijk, finished off a sharp counter-attack to give the Bretons a first-half lead at the Velodrome.
The hosts had picked up 10 points from a possible 15 since the appointment of Sampaoli, and they levelled through a sensational Dimitri Payet volley on 53 minutes.
Lirola put Marseille on top three minutes later after a neat ball through by Florian Thauvin, the Spaniard opening his account having joined on loan from Fiorentina at the start of the year.
Moffi looked to have earned a vital point for Lorient in their fight against relegation when he raced clear to score for the second time, and 11th this season, with 20 minutes to go.
But Lirola fired in a low drive from the corner of the area to snatch victory late on for Marseille, their fourth in six games under Sampaoli.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG
- Arsenal set Women’s Super League attendance record
- Southgate, Kane claim England are nearly powerless over Qatar
- Premier League should be decreased to 18 teams, says David Dein
- Southgate holding England back from being world beaters
- Where to find Mexico vs. Peru on US TV
- Where to find Czech Republic vs. Portugal on US TV
- Where to find Spain vs. Switzerland on US TV
- Where to find Scotland vs. Ireland on US TV