Madrid (AFP) – Sergio Ramos suffered a calf injury while on international duty with Spain, just five days before Real Madrid’s Champions League quarter-final first leg against Liverpool, the La Liga champions announced on Thursday.
The veteran centre-back made his 180th international appearance in Spain’s World Cup qualifying win over Kosovo as a late substitute, but said he felt the problem after the match.
Real also play Barcelona in a league Clasico meeting on April 10.
“After the game, I was training on the pitch and I noticed a pain in my left calf,” the 35-year-old Ramos said on Instagram.
“If there is something that hurts me, it is not being able to help the team in these highly demanding matches we have to play this season.”
Real confirmed Ramos had suffered a muscle injury, but did not say how long he would be out of action for.
“He has been diagnosed with a muscular injury to the internal calf in his left leg. His recovery will be monitored,” the team said in a statement.
Zinedine Zidane’s men host Liverpool in the last-eight first leg next Tuesday, with the return game at Anfield on Wednesday, April 14.
Real also face Eibar on Saturday, looking to cut the gap to La Liga leaders Atletico Madrid to three points.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- How DAZN acquiring Eleven Sports affects soccer fans in USA
- Where to find Puebla vs. América on US TV
- Where to find Hull City vs. Luton Town on US TV
- Iran national team stands in solidarity after nation erupts in turmoil
- USWNT roster announced ahead of October friendlies
- 2023 Women’s World Cup tickets go on sale from October 6th
- MLS killed the TV star: A farewell to MLS regional broadcast crews
- 5 fundamental questions MLS must answer before Apple TV launch
- Study shows Premier League clubs hit hardest by injuries
- Todd Boehly in talks to purchase Portuguese club